Jake Peralta | Commitment

requested by the lovely @anns-writing
this is a 3am thing, so i hope it's not too bad

---------------------------------

Exhausted you flopped into bed, nuzzling further into your fuzzy onesie that Jake had gotten you for Hanukkah.
Waiting for him to come to bed you pulled out your phone, just to browse and maybe gain an advantage over Jake in the latest game you've been acting way too competitive about. Again.

Even though the current case wasn't too overwhelming, you still felt completely drained and soon enough nodded off, the annoying tune of the game still playing silently from your phone.

Apparently you weren't completely gone yet, as you noticed the mattress dip down next to you and felt Jake scooting closer to you.

By the way he snuggled closer so hesitantly you could already tell he was trying to figure out the best way to broach... whatever it was he was thinking about.

"Whassit", you grumbled, sleepiness evident in your voice.

But Jake just fiddled with the spikes of your dino onesie.

"Baby?", you asked again, already sounding more alert.

His silence made you grow even more worried.

Grumbling you pushed yourself on your elbow, pawing aggressively at your phone to turn off the game.
"Jake?", gently you laid a hand on his cheek, hoping it would make him look up at you.

Sure enough, he lifted his gaze and stopped fiddling with your spikes.

"I was just out in the living room."

"I know, you wanted to beat Wario", you smiled softly, brushing over his cheek.

"Yeah... got me thinking, though. About us."

"Wii got you thinking about us?", you chuckled, trying to soothe him with a kiss on the forehead. You still didn't really know what was going on with him right now, but he seemed upset enough to have you worried.

"Wario did", he corrected you, childishly cross.

"Sorry, Wario got you thinking then", you indulged him.

For a moment Jake just looked at you. Really just looked at you and you had to give it your best not to break the eye contact. You still weren't used to the way you felt so seen by him. His love quite literally radiating off of him.
Sometimes it became too much, but you'd work on it, for him.

"Just...", he inhaled heavily, "how much you mean to me. How much it means that you put up with everything. With me-"

"Hey, I love-", you started interrupting him, but he shushed you immediately.

"I'm not done yet."

"Sorry", you quickly mumbled, moving your hand to the back of his neck.

"Anyways. I like you a lot. You're the first one who I can say 'I love you' to and truly mean it."

You tried your hardest not to fully go all snot-crying on him, but you definitely couldn't help one or two tears escaping you.

Even Jake couldn't help tearing up now.
"I wanna give you player one", he whispered, covering your free hand with his.

Surprised by where he went with this whole thing, you choked on a wet laughter.
"That's what you've been thinking about the whole time? When you left me to go to bed alone?!"
You almost felt hysteric. But in a good way. Maybe even relieved. Mostly your heart just tripled its size with all the love you had for him.
"Are you kidding me?!", you exhaled shakily, the stupid grin on your face already impossible to get rid off.

"I'd never joke about giving up player one", he said way too seriously.

"Fuck, I love you so much", you whisper, surprised by how much you actually did.
He kissed you softly and repeats it back against your lips before kissing you again.

And not for the first time the question shot into your brain.
But you told yourself to wait, as you did everytime. He was worth waiting for.