Tony Stark | For Tony

Sighing you leaned against the wall, watching Tony clean the mirrors in your apartment for the third time this day.
You invited him over (which took several texts, calls and F.R.I.D.A.Y. shutting all his systems down), to help him get out of his workshop and stop blaming himself for Peters death. Instead he just found work again, not his typical work area, but still work that distracted him and let him forget, so he wouldn't have to deal with his thoughts and fears.

You had your arms crossed and watched him silently. Several attemps of starting a conversation failed already. Concerned, but also a tad annoyed, you pushed yourself off of the wall and walked over to him.
Carefully you stood behind him, placing one hand on his shoulder and the other lightly over his.
Tony just ignored you, sprayed another layer of cleaner on the mirror and furiously continued to rub the dirty and cleaner soaked towel over the shining mirror.

"Tony... don't you think that my mirrors are clean enough by now? After cleaning them three times?"

He just continued, putting even more pressure on the towel, gripping it so tight that his knuckles started to go white and pop out.

Gently you tried to take the towel from his hand, but he violently shrugged you off and muttered, "it's not clean yet, (Y/N)..."

You sighed again and this time you forced the towel out of his hand.
"Come on, Tony. You can't hide the rest of your life from that and bury yourself in pointless work, like cleaning my mirrors three times, tending to four."

"From what?"

"You know what I mean." He still didn't look at you. "I'm talking about Peter."
For the first time in weeks he really looked into your eyes again. His once shining teddy-bear-brown eyes looked now almost grey and lost all their energy. You were sure he would've teared up, but he must've cried through so many nights that there simply wasn't anything left.

"Tony... I know you loved that kid- still do, but just please, don't blame yourself. It's not your fault."

"No. You're wrong. I was the one who gave him the suit. I was the one who got him into this when we fought Cap. I was the one who encouraged him and helped him to become a better superhero. I was the one who stayed in touch with him, because... because I needed him and because we needed his powers. I was so selfish... he- he wasn't even my kid! And that's the thing, he was just a kid for god's sake! A fucking 15 year old, (Y/N)! He should be worried about girls or boys, I don't fucking care, or that he doesn't have a beard yet... but he shouldn't have to worry about the doom of this goddamn planet!"

Shocked you quickly hauled him into a hug and wrapped your arms tightly around him.
You felt the smaller man collapse into your embrace, making you realize how badly he needed a simple hug.
His arms hung lifeless beside his body, you had to support his whole body weight, because he just couldn't anymore.
For a few moments you just stood there, letting Tony collect himself again. Softly you ran your fingers through his hair.

"He wanted to make you proud, Tony... that kid looked up to you. But he still knew what could happen. Everyone of us knows how dangerous our job is. We're the only ones who can protect every soul on this planet, you know..."

Carefully you led the broken man to the couch, never letting go of him. "Now, I'm not telling you to forget about him, alright? Just, don't let the grief eat you up, consume all your energy. I need you and all the others who are left to bring him back, okay? He made you proud, didn't he?" You felt him nod in your arms. "I think he deserves to know that, doesn't he?"
Another nod and a quiet sniff.
"We will bring him back, alright? And of course the others...", you thought back to the beautiful times when Stephen taught you everything about the martial and mystic arts in the Sanctuary. At the thought your heart ached, but Tony was more important right now.

Tony, who probably didn't even realize that he dug his fingers every few moments deeper into your sweater, sniffled and thanked you. His exhausted appearance still concerned you, which is why you suggested that he should lay down in your bed and at least take a nap.
Tony refused hysterically though, tensing up and breathing heavily.
You agreed on watching an old Bond, and just like you hoped he fell asleep in your arms.
Though you wished he wouldn't have any nightmares, his sleep was still very uneasy, but at least he didn't wake up covered in sweat and screaming.
As you looked down on the sleeping mess in your arms, you knew and promised to yourself that you had to find a solution. For Tony, just to see him happy again.