Chapter Twenty-Two: Far Too Young to Die!

That night before the hunt Felicia gave Eve a village house to sleep in. The house wasn't the village's best house because of the rumours surrounding it. The rumours said that when the village was originally built they found some sort of stone tablet with a Monster-Human hybrid and strange markings carved into it. The man who found it later went insane.

Someone knocked on the door of the house Eve was sleeping in. Eve woke up quick as a flash and ran out into the cold night then she looked around and said "Huh noth-!" but before she could finish she saw a tall shadow on top of her own shadow and man came leaping down right in front of her.

"Who the 'ell are ya?" Eve said trying to look for her carving knife, "Just a messenger from a man called Lance! He said that he and some 'friends' are coming to get a man called Rook and if he isn't given to him then Lance will just take him by force", the man replied quietly but firmly. Then he ran off into the snowy calm night as though he had never been there.

"Good for nothing cold caller," Eve said while going back into the house, she then went back to sleep.

Morning came, the snowbirds were tweeting and Popodromes were moaning. Eve was woken up by a loud thud, "Wh-what was that?" Eve said to herself sounding still half asleep, she put on her day clothes (and something warm) and headed outside to see what had made that thud.

Eve went outside and looked around the quiet and frosty village she then saw a man on top of her roof, "Hello there, Jean!" he said sounding cheerful. Eve was still getting used being called by another name but it was all for good reasons.

Eve replied with "Morning sir!" the man looked down again and replied, "Please call me Andy!" Eve smiled and said, "Okay!" and then ran off to see how Max was.

"Rook! Rook?!" Eve said running into the infirmary, "I'm here..." a voice said coming from the right-hand side of the room that Eve had run into. Eve then ran towards to where the voice came from and saw Max laying there "Rook! How are ya?" Eve said sounding concerned but cheerful, "The doc said my leg should be fine, nothing bad, just needs a day or two rest!" Eve was about to leave but then Max said something else "Please be safe. Jean!" Eve looked at Max and hugged him and said "I'm far too young to die..." and ran off smiling.

Eve saw Matt and Felicia preparing for the hunt, Matt saw her and said "You ready miss?" Eve looked at the infirmary and looked Matt and said "Why Yes!" they were about to leave when a small fat man came running around the corner and said "Chief! Chief! Wait!" Felicia jumped off the wagon and said: "What is it Oak?" Oak looked at Felicia and said "A band of hunters are asking for that Rook fellow! They want him by sunset!" Felicia looked down at the snowy ground, looked at Oak and said "We won't give him up to a band of mercenaries! Tell them he has been sent to the Guild!" then Oak ran off back to where he came from and told the others what to do.