Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Attack.

'BANG, BANG' went the Gunleances! People were screaming and trying to run away from these 'men'.

Felicia was about to run out of the infirmary and fight back but then Max grabbed her arm and said firmly "Let me fight! Save as many people as you can!" Max got his gear on, drank a whole bottle of potion and ran out into the burning street.

"Ov'r th're lads itsa 'im Rook!" one of the men yelled pointing at Max. "Leave these alone! You want me!" Max replied starting to breathe heavily, "Get 'im bois!" commanded the leader who gave Max his broken leg "Oh rioght, Napoleon will do!" said the youngest of this group of 'men'.

"So Napoleon is his name...that figures." Max said quietly. Max then saw the three big lads running towards him he got ready to fight. Max's Longsword started to glow this deep-dark painful looking red, his eyes went black and red and he started to snarl.

While all of this was happing Felicia was trying to get people who had survived the attack into the infirmary, "Wait isn't it that the girl who went hunting with you Felicia?" Oak asked, "Yeah but she...she...she lost her hand..." Felicia replied sounding regretful, "And where's Matt? He's the village hunt--? Oak was about to ask but Felicia interrupted before he could finish, "Matt has joined the hunters who are attacking the village..." Felicia didn't say why she just sat down next to Eve and said: "Let's hope your friend is as good as they say!"

"Napoleon 'e's too 'trong! 'e ne'd back up!" the last of the three men said, "No! Kill 'im or I 'ill 'u'!" Said Napoleon yelling, "Looks like your boss doesn't care about you?!" Max said taunting the man, "yo'r lying; 'e does more 'han 'u' ab'ot your frie'ds!" replied the man running towards Max. 'SWISH' went Max's blade killing the man instantly.

Suddenly the same bug from before (the one that nearly took Max off his feet) came zooming past, this time it did knocked Max off his feet and then from the smoke came Matt leaping with his Insect Glaive's blade pointing towards the ground. Max was lucky he dodged it, Max stood up and said: "What the hell are you doing Matt?" Matt looked at Max and said "Dealing with a monster!" Matt then pole-vaulted over Max and stab him in the back, "You...going...too...regret...that." Max said menacingly.

Max pulled himself off of the blade and screamed so loud that it woke Eve up in the infirmary, "MAX!" Eve yelled waking up "Who's Max?" Felicia asked, "Max...Max is Rook!" Eve replied trying to stand, "Don't stand. Let me go to help Max!" Felicia answered readying her Bowgun. Felicia walked out into the 'war' zone and started to look for Max.

Max was punching Matt over and over until Matt was knocked out. Max was about to kill Matt but then he heard some clapping and a voice he had heard before, "Good job Rook or should I say Max now?!" it was Lance he was standing on some rubble, with Napoleon standing next to him ready to attack Max if he tried to get too close.

"Should've known this was your doing!" Max said only just standing, "I might just kill you myself! But I need you alive..." Lance replied grinning, "Why... won't you kill me?" Max asked, "What I-we saw wasn't human and you're the only 'human' who has done this! So let then me a friend, experiment on you!" Lance answered, laughing.

Max shut his eyes and said "Hell no!" he started to run towards Lance, Lance unsheathed his Dual Blades and Napoleon charged up for a Wyvern's fire.

Max then heard a voice "Max wait!" Max stopped and saw who it was it was Felicia running towards him.

Felicia ran passed Max releasing a smoke bomb, the area was covered in thick white smoke and she also fired a recovery round into Max.

"Where the hell is he?!" Lance yelled, "I dunno?" Napoleon answered, then a flash of red went past Napoleon suddenly he dropped to the floor....dead.

"Show yourself! Stop hiding from me!" Lanced yelled then Max appeared from the smoke. Lance was about to attack Max with his Dual blades but looked down and saw they weren't there.

"You good for nothing little--!" Lance was about to finish but then they both heard a buzzing noise, then Matt leapt out of the smoke flying towards Max.

Lance grabbed Max's carving knife and pointed at Matt's stomach, "Ahhh!" Matt yelled Angry awoke from his sleep and ran out into the streets and saw Matt, Max and lance (not that he knew who Lance was or Max's real name) he saw his master on the floor with Lance holding a knife that was covered in blood.

"Boss! Boss!" Angry said running towards to the three men. Felicia saw what had happened she also started to run. Max was about to attack Lance but he had disappeared.

"Matt! Matt! Please stay with me!" Max yelled, "I'm...sorry...Rook...sir..." Matt replied wearily, "My name isn't Rook...it's Max!" Max answered while tears were rolling down his face, "Bud...you...came...back...at le-least...I...ca-can...die...hap-happy..." Matt said slowly closing his eyes, "Matt? MATT!" Max yelled but it was too late Matt had died...

Max sat there holding his dead friend Angry and Felicia came walking over and saw what had happened. Felicia fell to the floor crying and Angry let out a horrendous meow.

Then the village people came out of the infirmary and saw that their hunter, friend and ally had died...