Chapter 17: Big Mistake

Boy, do I love me some unnecessary angst.

[TRIGGER WARNING: chapter contains mentions of suicide, bullying, homophobia/homophobic slurs, violence, alcoholism, etc.]

Who was home?
*****

If it was even possible, Jason was somehow more annoyed with people's antics than ever before the next day at school. People already aggravated him, but he tolerated them most days. He had certain people he felt it was right to treat with more than tolerance, but they rarely came around in his life. Jason made sure he treasured the ones that did, though. He was loyal to them, and would quite literally take a bullet for many of them.

Unfortunately for Jason, that statement was put to the test. Of course, it was on a much smaller scale, but that didn't stop Jason from standing by his friends with full pride.

He was late to gym class after having to help Reyna with something student council related. Coach Hedge had briefly scolded him before giving him a "warning" and sending him off to the locker room to change.

When he got there, he took an excessive amount of time digging through his belongings before finding his gym clothes and changing into them. Just as he put his things in his bag and closed the metal door, Chris emerged from behind the row of lockers.

I thought he got suspended.

"I'm supposed to make sure you're okay," he said monotonously, "Coach wanted to make sure you hadn't died or something."

Avoiding eye contact as much as possible, Jason replied, "Yeah, I'm fine. I was just about to leave."

"Why were you late, Grace?" He asked as if they were just best buds or something.

"Just helping Reyna," he tried exiting while he still could, but was stopped as Chris sighed dramatically. Jason spun around on his heels, shooting Chris a confused look. "What?"

"You mean Reyna, like, the girl who calls herself aro because she can't find a date?" He asked with raised eyebrows.

Jason rolled his eyes. "Could you possibly just, I don't know, not be an awful person?"

"I thought you would've found better company by now, blondie."

"I love the 'company' I have right now, Chris," Jason said, trying to walk past the other boy. He groaned and stepped back when Chris firmly stuck his arm in the pathway, signifying he was a long way from being done.

Chris shook his head at Jason. "Just because everyone thinks you're perfect doesn't mean you have to let everybody be your charity case."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Jason said somewhat slowly.

Chris sighed. "Your 'friends' are all freak shows, Grace," Jason glared. "The only thing they'll get out of your sympathy is a rude awakening when they join us in the real world."

Jason shook his head. "At least my friends don't pulverize people for no reason."

"You talkin' about Jackson?" Receiving a nod, Chris released a humorless laugh. "Kid had it coming."

"Why...what did he do to you?"

Chris shrugged. "Easy target."