Chapter 44: I Promise This Book Isn't Going to End Like Titanic

Howdy, partners! Enjoy the chapter.

Disclaimer from a few days later: I can't believe I wrote howdy partners, it was the middle of the night, I'm so sorry I've put you all through that

Percy couldn't help but agree.
*****

After making sure to do some motherly scolding for inviting someone over while the apartment was an absolute wreck, Sally recruited her son to help her clean the kitchen area. When she glanced over, she didn't miss the extra energy that seemed to have made its way into Percy's step as he did so.

At 6:00 PM sharp, a ringtone from Percy's phone sounded and he made his way over to the door, opening it and coming face to face with the one and only Jason Grace. The green-eyed boy flipped his phone around, showing his pre-typed message to warn Jason about the state of the apartment. The blonde assured Percy that he didn't mind before greeting his mother with a wave and an excited, "Hi, Sally!"

Light chatter filled the kitchen as Sally made dinner with not particularly helpful but good efforts from the two boys. The three sat down to eat, and not even ten minutes into the meal, Sally broke out a couple of embarrassing stories from Percy's childhood.

Jason practically beamed as she recounted the time Percy somehow shot a literal cannon while on a school field trip. Or the time he broke his arm at the skate park. The blonde glanced at the other boy quizzically upon the mention of skateboarding, but Percy just gave him an innocent shrug with a not-so-innocent smirk accompanying it. (He said, "see you later, boy")

The three sat at the table long past the time their plates had been cleared. Eventually, Sally offered for Jason to just stay the night since it was beginning to get dark. Normally, he would've declined and said he felt perfectly safe heading home, but the blonde found himself thankful for the chance to spend more time with Percy. This time, he nodded in agreement, informing his sister of the plan and receiving nothing in return but a singular thumbs up and a read receipt.

Once the dinner was all cleaned up, Percy brought Jason to his room, which was surprisingly normal. After seeing the rest of the house, he wasn't quite sure what to expect of the boy's room. It seemed to be one of the few places that had been totally cleansed of any reminders of Gabe or his actions. Of course, it was still quite a mess, but Jason had anticipated it would be based on the abyss of old assignments and textbooks that was Percy's locker.

The green eyed boy walked over to a small shelf in the corner and dug out two movies for Jason to choose between. He'd had a long day, and his energy felt like it was getting sucked out of him.

The blonde tilted his head at the other boy. "I didn't peg you for a Titanic type."

Percy shrugged, tossing the other movie back into its approximate area before inserting the disc into the slot on his fairly beat down laptop. He'd gotten it years ago, and the only reason it was still around was to watch movies. The Internet connection was too slow to do anything else.

Percy set the computer at the foot of his bed, flopping over to the side pressed against the wall and patting the open space next to him. Jason happily joined him, albeit a lot more gently.

About twenty minutes in, Jason glanced over at the other boy and noticed his vacant stare directed at the ceiling rather than the bright screen. He gently nudged Percy, who shook his head as if he was coming out of a trance.

"You're probably sick of me asking," Jason said quietly, "but are you okay?"

Percy shrugged with a slight nod of his head. Good enough, Jason gathered.

He felt a bit stupid as he continued, "I know you aren't the biggest fan of them, but you really seem like you need a hug or something."

Percy shifted his gaze to the blonde, a small smile gracing his lips. There was no other interaction for a few moments, and Jason had taken it as a rejection to his offer. He understood.

In turn, Jason was a bit surprised when the bed shifted slighted and he felt Percy's head lay down on his chest and his arm curl around the blonde's torso. Jason wrapped his arm around the other boy protectively without a second thought. His hand found its way into Percy's hair, gently twirling the long strands around his finger.

"Told you this would be nice," Jason whispered with a ruffling of the boy's dark hair. Percy swatted a hand at the blonde's chest, accompanied by a grateful smile.

Silence settled between them, and eventually Jason felt Percy's breaths even out as he fell asleep. He turned his eyes towards the slumbering boy with slight admiration. His features softened and his lips parted slightly as he slept. The blonde smiled, pulling Percy closer and sighing contently.

After everything he'd been through that day alone, much less every other day of his life, Jason thought the green-eyed boy could use a bit of comfort. He'd grown rather attached to Percy, he realized as he laid there in the undisturbed silence. Percy was a close friend of his, but something was different from how he acted with Piper and Leo. He couldn't quite pin how, though.

Jason pushed the thoughts to the back of his head. He'd think about it later when he wasn't about to pass out. He glanced down at Percy one more time.
The blonde brushed some of his hair aside before placing a gentle kiss to his temple. He let the black strands fall back into place as he felt himself relax and begin to drift off.

"Goodnight, Percy," he whispered.

Yeah, yeah, I know it's another chapter where they watch movies. Please spare me, kind readers. I needed a pre-cuddling event, as per usual.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed! If you're still in school like me: you got this! If not, then have a nice day anyway ahaha

Bye, everybody!