Chapter 28: Searching Far and Wide

[SMALL TRIGGER WARNING: implications of domestic abuse are in the contents of this chapter. Abuse is not meant to be romanticized in the contents of this story. Thank you. Stay safe, everyone.]

Percy had, once again, caused his own problems.
*****

Percy walked in twenty minutes late to his second period class, exhaustedly handing a late slip to the teacher and plopping down in the seat to Jason and Leo's left. The two on the right exchanged glances as Percy got out his stuff from his bag, silently asking each other if they had any information. Once it was a mutual understanding that neither of them knew why Percy was tardy, they returned their focus (or at least Jason did, Leo barely knew what focus was) to the work at hand.

They went through the motions until the bell rang, dismissing the high schoolers to their third class of the day. Fortunately, Jason had his next one with Percy and could talk to him in the five minutes they had to get to the classroom.

"You okay?" Jason asked Percy as they walked side by side down the wide and noisy hallway. Percy nodded, staring at the ground.

Jason sighed as he looked at him. After getting to know Percy more, it was quite easy to tell when he was, in fact, not okay, regardless of if he said he was. "Can we talk later?" He asked after a few moments of hesitation.

Percy finally looked up at him with raised eyebrows, silently asking what Jason currently felt the desire to interrogate him about.

"Just...it'll just be a couple minutes after school," Jason informed Percy as he held open the classroom door for him and entered behind him, "I'm not gonna keep you for 24 hours again."

Percy confirmed he would be available with a nod. He was going to walk home today, anyway, since Gabe was still angry with him. There was a silent agreement made that morning that Gabe wouldn't waste his time picking Percy up from school. Jason smiled at him before separating so they could go to their assigned seats.

*****

After the students were dismissed from their final class, Jason went to his locker to retrieve what he needed to do to complete his homework that night and put away what he didn't. When he'd finished, he closed and locked his locker before turning to the right to find Percy. However, he didn't have to look far, as he then ran straight into his friend. Percy sucked in a breath as he winced, pretending as best he could that he wasn't in pain as he helped Jason regain his balance.

The blonde noticed anyway, and concern washed over his face before he sprung into questions. "Are you hurt? Did something happen? Did I just hurt you?"

Percy just shook his head at all three, but Jason rolled his eyes and gently directed Percy to the nearest bathroom. Jason nodded a greeting at the guy walking out as they walked in who he was fairly sure played on the basketball team. Or the soccer team, whichever. Both took too much time out of Jason's freshman year.

"What's injured?" Jason asked, deciding to finally not beat around the bush when it came to Percy.

Percy just stared at him with a look that lacked emotion. Jason sighed, "Percy, please, it's not like I'm gonna tell people so they know where to punch you or something."

Percy blinked, casting his gaze at the ground. He could tell Jason. He could trust Jason. Jason trusted him...enough, at least. He paused for a moment before loosely gesturing to the left side of his torso.

"How bad is it?" The blonde asked gently.

The shorter of the two took a deep breath, deciding whether or not it'd be smart to show Jason. He slowly grabbed the hem of his shirt and lifted it just enough for Jason to see the bruise before instantly pulling it back down and taking a few steps further into the bathroom.

Jason bit his lip. From what little he'd seen, the bruise wasn't anything he hadn't already seen on Percy's face at one point. He let Percy pace between a couple of feet for a minute or two before the green-eyed boy finally looked back at Jason. The blonde smiled reassuringly at Percy, whose lips curved upwards just a bit in return.

Then the realization occurred to Jason.

He had been with Percy all weekend up until he drove him home. Then, Jason also knew he wasn't bothered at school, since he had class with Percy up until lunch, and he knew Percy, as well at his usual school tormentors, would all be in class. Different ones, too. That meant he would've had to have gotten hurt last night or that morning.

Jason's smile faded. "When did this happen?"

Percy didn't even have the chance to try and convey an answer because his phone dinged from their bags nearby. He cautiously walked over, ignoring Jason's annoyance at his evasion of the question.

G. Ugliano: You're not home

Percy frowned at the message. Of course he wasn't home. He never was at this time, even when he didn't stay behind to see a teacher or, in this case, talk to someone he knew.

Jason shattered the uncomfortable silence. "Mind me asking who it is?"

Percy sent Jason a text that simply read 'step-father'.

"Percy, before you go," the blonde said as he saw Percy start to get his things ready to leave again, "one more question."

Percy nodded, encouraging him to go ahead. Jason sighed, thinking for a moment before asking, "Is there something wrong at home?"

The green-eyed boy dropped his phone from his hand and didn't bother immediately picking it up as it smacked against the tiled floor. He stared ahead at the wall, shocked by Jason's blunt question. Slowly, he tore his gaze from the wall, picked up his phone, and took a deep breath. He set the electronic on the sink and paused for a second to control the emotions that sat at the forefront of his mind. Percy turned around to face the blonde, who intently looked at Percy, scared of the response he'd received to his question. Percy swallowed.

And Percy nodded.

Oooooh.

Wow, we love the mega rushed start to this chapter because I needed plot points to get to the end result.

I'm tired, please help. I had a snow day today, so yay for me I guess.

Uh, have a nice day y'all.