Chapter 74: I Thought I Was Gonna Fall Asleep Before I Finished This Chapter

Thought I was becoming more extroverted, but the exhaustion I have after a whole two days of school is telling me otherwise LOL

[TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains mentions and implications of suicide. If you don't feel comfortable reading about this subject, skip the first paragraph and anything with an asterisk at the beginning (there's only one). Thank you, and I'm always available to talk. Enjoy the chapter.]

"I need a ride."
*****

Jason felt sick as he waited for Percy to arrive at his house. It was the same feeling he'd had years ago when he found his sister bleeding and sobbing on their bathroom floor. The memories of that night kept flowing back to him, and Jason was reluctant to admit that he felt even more scared now. What happened to her?

He was sure he was about to start hyperventilating when there was a soft knock at his door. Practically falling off the couch, Jason made sure he had his phone and a house key before quickly making his way to greet who he could only assume was Percy. He swung the door open, meeting Percy's concerned gaze. Jason had briefly explained to him what was going on during their phone call, and the green-eyed boy made it over to Jason's house in an impressive amount of time.

Jason looked kind of out of it, so Percy just placed a hand on his shoulder and guided him through the doorway, grabbing the knob and making sure it was locked before closing the door for him. He watched as Jason silently made his way to the car Percy had taken—Gabe's precious Camaro that got left behind when he landed himself in prison. The blonde was slow to open the door and crouch into the seat, his movements shaky and barely controlled. If he was like this now, Percy was scared to witness his reaction to actually seeing Thalia.

Nevertheless, Percy strode to the driver's seat and, after making sure Jason had remembered his seatbelt during his panic, he backed out of the driveway and took off down the road. He went as fast as he could without risking being pulled over. Percy thought Jason may walk to the hospital if they got stopped, and the last thing he needed was a teary-eyed, worried out of his mind Jason Grace wandering around anywhere near a moving vehicle.

Much like the last time Percy had seen Jason as upset at this, the blonde lost the ability to sit still. His hands explored the passenger seat of the car, clicking the lock a few times, moving the window ever so slightly, opening and closing the glove box. Eventually, Percy settled for grabbing Jason's left hand to keep at least half of the problem secure. He entwined their fingers as he weaved through cars in a way that definitely made him seem like an asshole. Percy had other things to worry about, though, such as the blonde flipping the mirror up and down on his right.

"Jason," Percy whispered as they pulled into the main parking lot enterance of the hospital. Jason didn't respond, but Percy could see the boy's gaze focused on him and took that as a sign he was listening. "I know you're stressed, and that's okay, but I need you to take a deep breath before we go inside, alright?"

Jason nodded, closing his eyes as he took a long inhale of air. He held it for a few moments before releasing the breath and turning to look at Percy. He wasn't sure for what—approval or reassurance, perhaps.

The boy had already vanished when Jason glanced in his direction, and another wave of anxiety swelled in Jason's stomach at Percy's absence before his door opened and he saw Percy standing outside. Jason sighed, forcing himself out of the car and allowing Percy to lead him into the building and to the man at the front desk, who looked both exhausted and tired of his job. Percy gently nudged Jason to remind him that he had to do the talking, and the blonde looked at the man with sad eyes.