Chapter 56: Texting In Court Isn't Great, Just So We're All On The Same Page

Do men's restrooms ever have couches in them or is that a women-only thing???

This'll be fun, he thought bitterly.
*****

"Jason? You in here?" Leo called out cautiously as he opened the door the the courthouse's restroom.

"I'm here," the blonde responded quietly as Leo came into his line of sight. (I 100% typed Nico instead of Leo)

Leo sat next to Jason on the black couch in the corner of the room. His friend sighed, leaning back and looking over to the shorter boy. "Did anything happen after I left? Does Percy need me?"

"He's on the stand again," Leo told him, deciding it wasn't the appropriate time to make a joke about Jason's crush on the green-eyed boy, "but nothing's really happened. I just came to check on you."

Jason nodded solemnly. "I'll be okay. I didn't like what he was saying about Thalia, obviously, but I'll get over it. Just needed a minute to breathe, you know?"

"I guess," Leo frowned. He knew Piper should have gone to find Jason instead of him. The girl insisted, also addressing the fact that Leo and Reyna shouldn't be left alone together. Still, he'd never been the emotional support of the group. Actually, he thought it was safe to say he was the least helpful when it came to emotions. He was always willing to try for Jason, though.

Jason sighed again. "Do you think they'll lose?"

Leo quickly noted the worried expression on the blonde's face. He assumed Piper or one of his other friends would reassure Jason, tell him that nothing would go wrong with the trial. He couldn't bring himself to say anything like that to the blue-eyed boy, just in case he was wrong. "I don't know. His stepfather's lawyer has pointed out the most random things, dude."

The blonde nodded, not looking very pleased with that answer. He muttered sadly, "I don't want anything to happen to him."

He knew Jason was referring to Percy, but he wasn't sure what else to add other than maybe a "mood" or "same, bro." He placed a hand on Jason's shoulder, and when Jason shifted his eyes to look into Leo's, he saw the shorter boy's infectious grin. Jason's lips curved upwards slightly as he pulled his friend into a brief hug. Jason was always the hugger...

After pulling away from the blonde, Leo's smile remained unwavering. "You think you're good to head back inside?"

Jason hesitated, seemingly lost in thought for a couple moments before nodding. He walked with Leo to the courtroom doors and, with a deep breath on Jason's behalf, they reentered the room and joined Piper and Reyna back in their seats.

There was a thick tension in the room, seemingly weighing everybody down in their seats. Leo felt extremely uncomfortable in the silence that presented itself. Gabe's attorney stood smugly with his hands clasped in front of him as the judge and the Jacksons' lawyer read a piece of paper at their individual posts. Percy's face was hidden behind his hands, although the same document appeared to be in front of him as well.

With his phone on the lowest brightest in his lap so nobody at the front of the room could see, Jason started a group text with himself, Leo, Piper, and Reyna. It was less awkward for the blonde than shattering the quiet that had settled.

Jason: What happened?

Piper: not really sure but percy's lawyer has made so many objections while you were gone