Chapter 40: Thalia Grace Wins Best Human Award

Oh, boi. I'm not too good at transitions here.

Also, I don't know??? How anything works??? And I don't have time to research it???

But hey, it's almost the length of two chapters!

[TRIGGER WARNING: mentions and depictions of abuse. It begins after the time skip about 300 words in and ends at the next set of asterisks. Implications of suicidal thoughts/attempts. If you or someone you know is suffering, please seek help. Thank you.]

He could only hope Jason didn't need to be the hero.
*****

The Jacksons left soon after Percy and Jason had woken up, leaving the Grace siblings with Leo and Piper. There was very little time that went by peacefully until the latter two decided to address the elephant in the room.

"What's happening to Percy?" Leo asked bluntly, 100% aware that something was wrong.

Thalia and Jason shared a knowing look before the latter sighed. "Percy and his mom were here last night because they got kicked out of their apartment by his step-dad. He's...Percy, he...Gabe..."

Thalia took over for her obviously struggling brother, "His stepfather's abusive. Not all his bruises and injuries are as harmless as he lets on."

"Are they going to report him?" Piper asked worriedly, saddened but not particularly surprised, "He can't just keep hurting them like this without something happening, right?"

Jason buried his face in his hands but still muttered, "If they were, they would've done it by now. They've been married for years."

Thalia looked sympathetically at her brother, gently patting his back. He wasn't taking the situation well, and Thalia was worried about him, quite frankly. Leo and Piper broke off into a side discussion about the topic themselves, and Jason turned his head to face his sister.

"Why Percy?" The blonde whispered, "What did he do to deserve this?"

She just shook her head at him. "He doesn't. I know it's unfair, Jase, but it'll all be over soon, alright? Just trust me."

Jason didn't add anything else before leaving to go to his room, claiming to need some alone time. His two friends watched him with concern as he left.

"Will he be okay?" Leo asked quietly.

The eldest of the three sighed. "He feels helpless, I can see it. Percy's important to him, and all he wants to do is solve the issue."

"He can't figure out how, though," Piper finished Thalia's thoughts, receiving a nod in return.

"Why don't you two take him out tomorrow?" She suggested to the two teens, "Maybe it'll help him clear his head and just relax for a day."

They agreed without a moment of hesitation, desperate to get back the Jason they knew and loved.

**the next morning**

Percy certainly didn't expect to wake up to pounding on his front door. He forced himself out of bed to go see who it was, but stopped in his tracks upon seeing Gabe standing near the door. The glare he sent Percy's direction told him that answering the door wouldn't end well for him.