Chapter 48: Shine Bright Like a Diamond But Not Really-For Health Reasons

Welcome back, everybody! For once, I updated fairly quickly. Are y'all proud? The chapter's extra long, too.

"Open the fucking door, Nakamura!"
*****

Ethan barely opened the door enough to poke his head out. "You can't be in here."

"Fuck you," the voice barked, and Ethan got shoved aside as the newcomer walked over to Percy.

The green-eyed boy squinted to see none other than Piper McLean. "Gods, Perce, why does this only ever happen to you?"

Percy sat up, ignoring the pounding in his head. Piper looked as though she was about to lunge at the two boys, but Percy grabbed her arm gently. After hearing what Chris had to say about Piper, Percy didn't want the girl going anywhere near him.

Instead, Piper helped him to his feet. It was fairly awkward, considering that she was rather short, but Percy managed. Really, they'd only gone after his face and head. Other than the throbbing in his jaw and the possible concussion Ethan had given him, Percy was fine.

Piper led him out of the bathroom, not wavering in her glares directed at the other two boys, and around the corner. She sat Percy on a nearby bench before taking out her phone and apparently calling someone. Percy closed his eyes, trying to block out the blinding lights around him.

"Hey, Jason," Piper greeted the boy on the other end of the call. Percy's heart rate picked up upon hearing the blonde's name. "Sorry for taking so long. I hope I'm not keeping anybody else waiting."

After a brief pause, presumably in which Jason was speaking, Piper continued, "Of course. Annabeth wants to hang out at her place. She just asked a few minutes ago."

"Thanks, Jase," she smiled brightly, "you're the best!"

When she hung up, she immediately turned back to Percy and the smile fell from her face. He opened his eyes to look at the girl as she sat down next to him and sighed. "Any ideas on how to sneak you in my room without Jason noticing?"

Percy was a bit taken aback. He wasn't sure why they were hiding from Jason, but he trusted that it was a good enough reason. Thalia, he mouthed as an offer.

Piper grinned at him. "Genius. Okay, give me a second."

Once again, Piper scrolled through her (rather long) list of contacts before clicking Thalia's name and putting the call on speaker. On the third ring, Thalia picked up.

"What's up?" Thalia asked lazily.

Piper wasted no time. "I need you to keep your brother busy for a few minutes."

There were a few moments of uncomfortable silence.

"Why?"

"Long story short," Piper sighed, "I'm saving him from getting into another fight."

Ah, Percy concluded, that's why we're hiding.

Thalia seemed fairly confused still, but she accepted the job. "Uh, okay, yeah. I'll keep him in the kitchen, I guess. That work?"

Piper nodded and gave a brief affirmative before bidding the girl goodbye and hanging up. She shifted her gaze to Percy. "You ready?"

He nodded, rejecting Piper's outstretched hand and using the wall to push himself up. As he followed the girl through the halls, he gently rubbed his temples in an attempt to abolish his headache. The two were quiet, even as they exited the school building and walked to the nearest bus stop. Piper quickly noticed Percy's discomfort in the sunlight and dug out a pair of aviators and placed them on his face. He raised a hand in thanks, but Piper either didn't see it or didn't feel the need to acknowledge it. (Is this a Midwestern thing? Or do the rest of y'all do this, too???)