Chapter 42: The TV Was Paused, Must Be Important

Hey, party people. Long time no see, whOOPS. Won't lie, I started this chapter on March 15. Look where we are now. Life's fine and all, my motivation has just been sister struggling. However, volleyball's currently suspended because of corona, so catch me doing absolutely nothing else with my life. Regarding the whole virus thing, please stay safe and follow the professional's' advice. Personally I'm straight chilling at home until at least April 24. What days are the rest of y'all supposed to go back to school?

Anyways, hope y'all enjoy the chapter. It's a little rough, mostly because the majority was written at one in the morning, but hopefully I'll get back in the normal swing of things soon.👍🏻

And, for once, he didn't have to enter in fear.
*****

The moment he heard Percy shut the door behind him, Jason went on a hunt for his older sister. He quickly found her watching television in the living room, curled up in a blanket on the left side of the couch. She motioned him over as she paused her show and turned away from the screen.

Jason calmly sat down next to Thalia, pondering what to say next. Eventually, he decided on a simple, "Thank you."

"For what?" Thalia questioned as if she didn't already know the answer.

The blonde sighed, disregarding the question as he moved on, "I should've told someone earlier when–"

"Don't do that," Thalia told him, "You were scared for him and didn't know what to do. You're 16, you're not expected to be involved in this kind of thing."

"Why didn't Percy want me to call the police?" Jason asked his sister.

"That boy has a new bruise every week on his face," she shrugged, hesitating to continue in fear of worrying the younger Grace, "I wouldn't want to see him if his stepfather worms his way out of this."

Jason only nodded, a chill going up his spine. The two sat in silence for a few moments before Thalia turned the TV back on. Jason leaned his head on his sister's shoulder (quite a task for the taller blonde), and Thalia proceeded to cover them both with the blanket and wrap a gentle arm around the boy. The siblings weren't always very physically affectionate with each other, instead opting for joking insults and occasional encouraging remarks, but Thalia cherished the moments like these where she knew her brother was secure.

"Hey, Thals?" Jason said quietly, minutes later.

"Hm?"

"I love you," he told her, which was another thing Thalia realized they didn't do nearly enough.

She smiled, even though he wouldn't be able to see it. "Love you, too, Jase."

*****

Percy had never been happier to see his mother. And that was saying a lot, considering he was overjoyed every time he saw her alive and at least mostly well when he returned to the apartment. Upon walking through the front door, he immediately rushed over to his mother's already opened arms and embraced her.

"Hi, honey," she whispered sweetly as she held onto her son.

Percy desperately wanted to return the greeting, but his unused vocal chords had done enough for one day. Of all people, he hadn't expected his first attempt at speaking in such a long time to be with his best friend's sister.

He couldn't say he regretted it, though.

After what seemed like an eternity, the mother-son duo separated from their hug. Sally, however, instantly noticed the bruises forming on his neck from earlier that day. She thanked every higher deity she could think of that the police broke in when they did. Gabe had beaten her son for years, and she knew the two absolutely despised one another, but her excuse of a husband actually attempting to strangle Percy was a different story.

She knew she would never forgive herself if something happened to her only child because of her mistakes. She should have never married him in the first place, and she definitely shouldn't have kept him around while he made her life and, more importantly, her son'a life a living hell.

But she was scared.

She knew it wouldn't be pretty if she just up and left with Percy one day, but she couldn't risk leaving him behind, either. She couldn't find a way to escape.

Sally hadn't even realized she was crying until Percy wiped a tear off her cheek, offering a small smile when she looked at him.

"Percy, baby, I'm so sorry," she said, gently cupping one of his cheeks in her hand, "I didn't mean for any of this to happen to you."

The boy nodded, although he knew he could never bring himself to blame his mother for their lives.

Sally was about to speak again when her phone rang on the counter next to them. She glanced at the contact information and, seeing the number of the police station, reluctantly answered the call.

Percy took a seat nearby and listened for a few minutes to his mother's short responses. He knew she didn't want to be talking about the abuse with strangers, but they'd both have to if they wanted him gone for good.

After Sally hung up, she sighed and looked over at her son, who had his eyebrows raised questioningly.

"They want us at the station as soon as possible to ask some questions," Sally explained, walking to grab her keys from near the front door, "and, uh, see any evidence.

Percy shifted uncomfortably in his seat, knowing he'd be stared at by a bunch of random officers that would regard him with pity and ask all about his scars and bruises. He knew he wouldn't be able to bring himself to actually speak to any of them, which would undoubtedly frustrate them. However, he was willing to do it for the sole reason that it could help him never have to look at Gabe's face again.

He sat in silence with his mother besides the calming background music on the radio. She didn't look overly keen about this whole interrogation thing, either. They arrived at the station, and Percy just stared at the building for a few moments before reluctantly following his mother inside. He sighed at the thought that crossed his mind as he entered the front room.

Gods, he wished Jason was there.

LMAO EW IM SO SORRY.

Thought I'd give everyone a (mostly) wholesome family chapter. Like I said, I hope to not take six months to update again (although I guarantee nothing).

I was gonna update y'all on my life while I've been gone, but the only difference is that I can drive. Can't really go anywhere in the first place as of right now, but just let it be known that I did indeed pass. Let me know if any of you have had any exciting life developments recently!

Have an amazing week, everyone! Hopefully I'll see you soon.