Chapter 27: Waffle Supremacy

[TRIGGER WARNING: chapter contains one mention of a homophobic slur. If this will affect you in any way, please read with caution. Thank you, and stay safe.]

So instead, she just smiled, opened the door, and left.
*****

Jason woke up about 20 minutes after Piper left, surprised but not annoyed to find Percy in his arms on his couch. He sighed tiredly, burying his face in Percy's shoulder to shield his eyes from the sun blinding him through the windows. Percy practically radiated comfort, in Jason's expert opinion.

Jason nearly fell back asleep, but was instead disturbed by someone flicking the back of his head. He groaned quietly, looking up at see his sister. His eyes widened as he remembered his current position. Thalia looked like she was about to say something, but Jason quickly held a finger to his lips, silently telling her to be quiet and throwing a gaze in Percy's direction.

"Do you know what kind of breakfast food he likes?" Thalia whispered, of course after rolling her eyes at Jason.

The blonde smiled and whispered back, "I got it, Thals, thanks."

"Is it safe if I leave you two unsupervised?" She asked with raised eyebrows.

Jason blushed furiously. "Shut up, go away."

As Thalia walked away, Jason heard faint laughing, and he silently cursed her and everything she stood for. He heard the front door open and close before the house was silent again. Jason hummed contently, laying his head back down.

A few minutes later, Percy slowly began to stir. Upon opening his eyes, he immediately recognized that this was not his bedroom, and the arm around him was not his own. However, when he tried to turn and see who he was with, he shifted too far and abruptly fell off the couch. As quickly as his fatigued body could, Jason stood up and assisted Percy in getting back on his feet.

"You okay?" Jason asked as he brushed a piece of Percy's hair, ruffled from overnight, out of his face.

Percy nodded, releasing a small and breathy laugh at his unstoppable clumsiness. He looked up to see Jason smiling as well.

Jason was the one to break their eye contact. "Do you want to go get breakfast? I can drive you home after."

The green-eyed boy pondered it for a moment before nodding with a slight shrug. He figured his mother would probably be at work, and Gabe wasn't in town as far as Percy knew. He had practically all day to waste away, seeing as he never really did much with his free time.

And so the two left, heading to a place nearby that Jason insisted had the "best waffles in this whole state". Whether that was correct or not, Percy didn't bother expressing an opinion, but rather just enjoyed listening to Jason speak, no matter what the topic may be. He'd been noticing that a lot recently, just how much he adored listening to Jason's stories and thoughts that Percy observed he never particularly expressed to his other friends. Percy assumed it was likely to fill the void that his lack of speech created, but he was grateful nonetheless.

Jason seemed to be in a rather pleasant mood that morning as well. Percy most definitely didn't expect that, especially considering Jason had just sobbed on him less than twelve hours ago, but he was glad to know Jason hadn't let yesterday get the best of him. Or, at least, that he was quite good at hiding it if he did.

Percy sincerely hoped it wasn't the latter.

After they had finished eating, Jason began the drive to Percy's apartment, as promised. They pulled onto the street of his complex, and Jason sighed when they came to a stop outside.

"Uh, Percy," Jason spoke, causing Percy to halt his departure, "I was trying to avoid talking about it, but...thank you for yesterday. I don't know how many people would've stayed when I was such a mess like you did."

Percy just smiled at him, joyed to see he got one in return. They then bid their goodbyes, and Percy stepped out of the vehicle, waving to Jason before heading inside.

Percy's small grin persisted as he walked upstairs. He had a wonderful morning already, except for falling off the couch first thing. He fished his key out and unlocked the door, dropping his stuff near the entrance and turning the lock behind him.

"Where were you, kid?" Percy heard a gruff voice from behind him and froze as his smile instantly vanished.

Shit.

He slowly turned around to face his stepfather from across the room. The older man walked over to him and quickly looked him over.

"Huh?" He spoke again, "Where the hell were you?"

Percy just sighed shakily, pointing out the front door in a poor attempt to explain he was with people. As he turned his head slightly, his collar was grabbed roughly.

"You just got out of a boy's car, yeah?" Gabe growled. At first, Percy gave no response, but after his stepfather's grip tightened, he quickly nodded.

Gabe scoffed at him. "We had an agreement, kid," he slurred furiously, "As long as you're a fag, you aren't welcome in my house."

Percy swallowed, just staring at him to acknowledge he had heard.

"Last chance, jackass," Gabe muttered, his fist colliding with Percy's stomach before shoving him into the wall and retreating to his bedroom. Percy just slid down the wall until he was sat on the ground. He ran a hand through his hair with a sigh.

If only he were more cautious, he could've been home before Gabe got back.

Yeah, but Jason needed him last night.

Percy glanced at the hallway and briefly contemplated his lifestyle before shaking his head and moving his gaze to stare at his feet.

He was willing to risk it to help Jason, who had just recently revealed that maybe his life wasn't as glamorous as Percy had previously assumed. Now, he knew something was wrong, considering he was living under the guidance and supervision of his sister who was only six years his senior, but Percy could see that there was something else that affected Jason quite a lot.

Percy could've been home before Gabe last night, he really could've. But he wasn't just going to leave Jason like he was to go home by himself, and because of that, Percy didn't mind too much that he was currently sitting on the floor with a probable new bruise and empty bottles of alcohol littered around him.

Percy had, once again, caused his own problems.

Well, how is everyone? Hope y'all are dandy.

I don't have much to say besides that I'm getting sick so rip me. Uh, hope you enjoyed?

Bye, children!