Chapter 31: Just Around the Corner

[TRIGGER WARNING: chapter contains descriptions and depictions of bullying and physical violence. If these topics may affect you in any way, please read with caution or just until the time skip (*****). Thank you, and stay safe.]

His mother wasn't.
*****

Percy nearly punched Jason in his face on accident when he awoke suddenly at four in the morning. He glanced around in an attempt to, once again, familiarize himself with his surroundings. One thing he definitely noticed was how close he was to the aforementioned blonde.

He also noticed how much he didn't hate it.

In fact, he even subconsciously moved just a bit closer. Percy quickly realized that he had quite a large piece of his life missing when it came to physical contact. His mind always chided him, telling him that everyone was out to get him in the same way Gabe was, but he knew Jason and his step-father had absolutely nothing in common. Percy found comfort in Jason instead of fear.

He shifted his gaze to see as much of Jason's face as he could in their current position. The blonde was still fast asleep. Percy smiled. At least one of them could sleep.

The green-eyed boy sighed, turning his head back to where it previously was. He knew he wouldn't be able to fall back asleep. Even if he was, it would already be when he had to get up for school by the time the task was accomplished. Percy nearly cringed at the thought of going to school after the week he'd been having.

As much as he knew Jason would hate it, Percy couldn't stop thinking about how he would have to go back to the apartment sometime in the next 48 hours. His mother had to have come home by now, and Percy knew it likely didn't end well. He had to at least stop by to check in and see if Sally was still there. Percy couldn't fathom her being hurt, and the fact that he thought it would be his fault was nagging him.

Thinking positively, Percy knew there could always be the small possibility that Sally managed to only return to the apartment when Gabe wasn't there. However, he knew that was only wishful thinking. The poor excuse for a man rarely left the home other than to restock his alcohol supply or gamble with his buddies. He couldn't bring himself to believe that it might be anything but ugly when he returned, but he had to do it.

His only issue would be getting away from Jason long enough after school to do it.

*****

Just because Percy's luck is so swell, he was in his final class with none other than, you guessed it, Jason Grace. Leo and Annabeth were also in the class, though, so Percy just had to pray that they'd stall him while Percy slipped out. As soon as the bell rang, he power-walked out the door and through the halls. He didn't exit through the main door because he knew Jason would end up there, instead opting for a door on the back side of the building. He didn't bother going to his locker since he had everything he really needed. Carrying around his backpack for no reason finally paid off.

When the exit was in his line of sight, Percy had only a small moment of hope before he was yanked backwards by the handle of his book bag. He nearly toppled over but miraculously kept his balance as he looked up to see none other than Chris Rodriguez with a smug smirk.

"Long time, no see, Jackson," he stated with false friendliness.

Percy swallowed and nodded. He didn't have the time for this. Running away wasn't a very smart option, though, because all Chris would do is get Percy twice as bad next time he could.