Chapter 35: Embarrassing Your Friends Is Fun

Ha, publishing chapters with reasonable time between them? What's that like?

He probably wasn't going to tell her.
*****

After he arrived back at home, Jason showered in hopes of erasing some of the hospital smell that he was sure lingered around on him. Afterwards, he'd gone to his room and attempted to start his English project before giving up. Thankfully, Leo had texted him and Piper with a proposal to go get dinner, so he had an excuse to not finish his homework.

An excuse other than the fact that his friend was in the hospital, of course.

Piper was already downstairs, snacking on gods know what regardless of the fact that they were going to dinner. Jason had ridiculed her a bit before they headed out. The blonde had texted his sister to let her know where they were headed, but she hadn't responded by the time the two picked Leo up and got seated at a Mexican restaurant that Valdez was insistent they go to. They typically made it a tradition to turn their phones off during dinner so they could speak to each other like normal humans, but Jason decided he'd leave his on just this once.

His rule breaking was exposed later on, though, when his phone's vibration shook the table upon receiving a text from Percy. Piper and Leo teased his relentlessly throughout the remainder of their meal, but they had allowed Jason to check the message so he let it slide.

Figured out the physics without you, and my discharge date got moved a day closer, Percy sent two messages, The past half hour of my life has been the peak of this month for me.

Jason couldn't help but smile at the sarcastic—it was from Percy, after all—tone it seemed to carry. The smile was replaced with a playful glare when Piper shot her straw wrapper at his face before subtly laughing with Leo. The blonde rolled his eyes and glanced down at the phone one last time before putting it back in his pocket. He'd respond later when he had time for a full conversation. If he was going to talk to Percy, he was going to set apart enough time for them to actually have a discussion rather than a two minute small talk moment.

Small talk over text with Percy was the worst. Since he still didn't say things to anyone out loud and give away little facts about himself like many people did, Jason preferred to skip past the "how are you" and "how's the weather" and get right to a genuine conversation.

The other day, Jason had found out that Percy's mother primarily made all their food blue. The green-eyed boy had to elaborate and explain that she did it all to spite his stepfather, but Jason thought it was a nice detail in Percy's life nonetheless. Percy had apparently been receiving a slice of blue birthday cake every August 18th since he was young because of the argument, and the blue food had just quickly progressed into a normality in his life. Jason seemed to be finding out a lot of small things like that recently, like how Percy completely drenches his pancakes with syrup or how he was named after Perseus because his mother wanted him to have a happy ending (which Jason found incredibly endearing, if you were wondering).

Needless to say, Jason was an unprepared mess when the waiter came over to take their orders. He wouldn't have even noticed the young boy standing next to their table if Piper hadn't kicked his shin. Judging by the looks on their faces, Leo and Piper had already told the waiter what they'd wanted.

"Uh, I, um, I'll, hm–," Jason stuttered cluelessly.

Leo bit the inside of his cheek to keep from laughing as Piper said, "Sorry about him. Go ahead and give him what I ordered."

The waiter left their table, and Jason was met with a silent cackle and a heavy sigh of friendly disappointment. The blonde frowned at his friends, "You two are the worst."

"Maybe pay attention instead of dreaming about–"

"Leo, I swear to the gods," Jason cut him off before the shorter boy could even say whatever he'd planned on referring to Percy as this time.

Piper shrugged as she finished Leo's statement, "Boyfriend."

"We aren't dating!" Jason said a bit louder than he'd intended. He ignored the glances from some of the other customers as he lowered his voice, "Piper, you are literally living in the same house as us right now. You know there's nothing going on."

Piper shrugged, turning to Leo, "They were cuddling on the couch the other day."

Jason stood up rather forcefully. "That's it, I'm going outside. I'm getting fresh air that you two haven't breathed near, I'll see you in a couple minutes. Goodbye, have fun talking about me while I'm gone because you're definitely going to do that. I'll be back."

The blonde then stumbled outside with a harsh blush covering his cheeks. His two friends laughed at an almost unacceptable volume as they watched him leave. Jason was too easy to fluster...

"Remember when you dated him?" Leo said rather randomly as their laughter died down.

Piper scoffed. "Yeah, that was time in my love life I'll never get back. But, yes, he acted the same way he is now, if that's what you're getting at."

"He's hopeless," Leo sighed  lightheartedly.

Hi. I apologize for taking eighty years to update. Having some writer's block and a ton of work. HOWEVER, I did finish all my long term stuff and I am  T H R I V I N G. Hopefully I can read into the plot soon, since this chapter was really just a filler for me to make fun of Jason being embarrassed.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Good luck for everyone that has school all week! If you're on spring break, good for you and I wish I could relate.

Bye y'all!