Chapter 26: Why We Hate Malls

OKAY. This chapter is twice as long as the normal ones.

You're welcome if you actually enjoy this story.

And alternatively, I apologize if you're just reading this because you're bored.

Because it's a hot mess.

But enjoy!

Maybe Jason was right.
*****

The next day, on Saturday, the three boys decided they could kill some time at the mall, since they had nothing to do that day. Also, 'they' really just meant that Leo threw the idea out, so Jason and Percy didn't bother disagreeing. They had done a more than sufficient amount of window shopping and gotten lunch at the food court until they finally looked around inside of a store for gods know what.

"So," Jason tried to start laying out a schedule for the remainder of their day, "we should probably leave around, I don't know, two-ish so I can drop both of you guys off at home because I still need time to do my homework, and–Leo, are you even paying attention?"

Percy had noticed Leo's usual grin transform into a look of worry about halfway through Jason's spiel. He appeared to be looking at something, but Percy assumed it wasn't too major of an issue.

Leo shook his head and almost instantly returned to his smiling self, speaking as he began to turn around. "Yeah, I'm kind of done with this store, let's find somewhere else."

"Hey, are you okay?" Jason asked, turning Leo back around before glancing behind him. "Did you see something back there or–"

Jason's look of concern changed into a look that lacked emotion. Leo tried to drag him away, "Hey, Jase, really, let's just go."

Percy followed Jason's gaze to a woman who was approaching them with a bright smile on her face.

"Jason, dear!" The woman exclaimed, stopping once she was within reasonable distance of the boys. "You've grown so much. And is that Leo? You have, too!"

Neither Jason nor Leo said anything. The latter seemed highly uncomfortable, and the expression on the blonde's face had not changed.

"And who would you be?" She asked, turning to Percy.

Percy noted the subtle protective step that Jason took in front of him when she spoke to the green-eyed boy. Obviously, he had a severe issue with this woman.

"Does it matter?" Jason asked bitterly.

The woman shook her head. "Now, now, Jason, you should be nicer to your friends. What's your name, dear?"

"His name is Percy," Jason responded, thankfully, for him, taking another small step in front of him.

She smiled at him. "Well, it's nice to meet you, Percy. I'll see you boys around, huh?"

Nobody said anything as she walked away. When she was out of earshot, Jason immediately sighed in what seemed to be frustration.

"Percy, can I talk to Jason alone for just a second?" Leo asked, feeling bad about sending Percy away but knowing it was probably for the best if he calmed Jason down. Percy just nodded, walking around the nearby area.