A Serious Conversation

Hey, team. It's your author here with something that I think needs to be addressed before I continue with this book. I was just scrolling through TikTok, as I do, when I came across one video discussing the fetishization of mlm books/other media. There was a strong emphasis on works written by women, specifically straight women, and it really got me thinking. I wanted to open this up to completely honest discussion and get your guys' input.

If you weren't aware, I am a cishet woman (an ally, obviously, but cishet nonetheless), so I am included in the group being targeted by the video. I just wanted to reach out and ask the readers (specifically those who actually are LGBTQ+) and talk about me writing stories like this.

First of all, if you've ever felt like I've fetishized or invalidated any sexuality/identity, please don't be afraid to call me out on it. I do my best to stay educated, but I'm human and do sometimes make mistakes.

Second, I want some opinions. I've tried to avoid this issue through numerous ways. If you haven't noticed, I definitely take a closer look at the emotional/romantic parts of the relationships rather than the physical parts. I have not and will not write any actual smut scenes in my book because of it. Plus, this is fanfiction, and (for me, at least) my ships are usually based on the characters' personalities rather than their genders. Still, I wanted to check in and see if anyone was uncomfortable with me writing stories like this. Obviously, I enjoy writing for y'all and interacting with everyone, but if what I'm doing is detrimental to the LGBTQ+ community, I don't want to do more damage than I already have.

Also, the f-slur. I haven't used it in my writing in a while because I realized I personally shouldn't be putting it absolutely anywhere, via mouth or keyboard, even if it is for the sake of the storyline. I'm going to steer clear of using it at any point again, and if I ever go back and edit any of my things, it'll be changed then, too.  (I plan to go through and fix this soon, but I don't know where all of them are.) I just wanted to own up to that as well and let you all know that I'm sorry, and I will do better. It's not an excuse, but I am still technically a child who is learning and growing. I understand now that it wasn't a thing that should've happened in the first place.

That's about all I have for now. Again, please let me know what you guys think. Love you, and have a good week.❤️