Chapter 78: To Be Honest, I Think I'd Cry If I Was Jason

Hope not everyone thought I was rushing things last chapter, I promise there was logic behind it LOL

Anyways, here you go. Have fun.

Percy had to physically restrain himself from shoving Jason off the bed.
*****

Jason woke up in an empty room, the boy he'd fallen asleep with out of sight. He sat up slowly, stretching his back as he looked towards the closed door. There was no sound in the apartment besides a quiet clinking of what sounded like glass from the other room. The sunlight streamed in through Percy's curtains, softly illuminating the space around him. He could hear very faint sounds of running cars from outside and wondered if this was how Percy woke up every morning. With the occasional shout from the streets and the few barking dogs nearby, Jason could start to see why being silent for so long was a task Percy could handle. There was already enough noise to fill the atmosphere without him.

He pulled the blanket off himself, wondering how it got there in the first place, before swinging his feet over to the floor and standing, grimacing at the chill that brushed over him after leaving the bed. He made his way to the door, pushing it open and poking his head out to look down the hall. Percy sat on a stool in the kitchen, staring out the window to his left with his chin resting in his palm. Jason smiled fondly at him as he leaned against the doorway.

His dark hair was even more of a mess than its usual tousled look, and Jason could only assume Percy hadn't even tried fixing it yet. The morning sun reflected onto his face, making his skin shine and his eyes almost sparkle. His expression held a newfound serenity that Jason decided he liked seeing on Percy.

"Morning," he called out, watching as Percy turned his head to look at Jason, nodding a hello to the blonde.

Jason made his way down the hall with a yawn, meeting Percy at the kitchen island. Percy pointed at the oven behind him.

"I made muffins," he explained quietly.

Now that he'd mentioned his breakfast plans, it was very easy to tell. The scent of the muffins was faded but definitely still present in the quaint kitchen. Across the room, the sink held an empty mixing bowl, a few measuring cups, and several spoons. He'd learned recently that Percy wasn't the best with conserving dishes when he prepared food. It was hard to care after learning about Percy's culinary skill, though.

Jason gave him a grateful smile. "Thanks, Perce."

Percy opted for another nod, acknowledging he'd heard Jason before returning his gaze to the window. Jason couldn't tell what Percy found so fascinating about the alley lined with fire escapes, but he chose to just let the other boy enjoy the moment. He tried to follow where Percy was looking, but he kept finding himself with his eyes back on the boy, eventually sighing and settling for staring at Percy until he finally spoke.

"I used to sneak out through that window all the time," Percy told him, tilting his head as if the memory confused him.

"And go where?" Jason asked, afraid he already knew the answer.

Percy shrugged, not having much of an answer to give. Truthfully, he just went anywhere besides the apartment itself. Sometimes he'd walk down to some 24-hour store and browse, doing his best to ignore the curious glances he got from the workers. Other nights, if he didn't want to risk the rare attempt at conversation, he'd hide away in an empty alley or find a bench out of the public eye. Apart from the occasional creepy man talking to him or the drug deal he had to pretend he didn't see, it was a good escape for him.