Chapter 53: I Decide I Don't Want Go Into Law For 3500 Words Straight

Hello, everybody. This chapter is much longer than normal, so I guess you're welcome??? Also, according to my two very brief google searches, Alastor is one name for the concept of justice, retribution, and family feuds in Greek mythology. He's usually associated with Zeus or viewed as a masculine name for Nemesis. Just in case you were wondering where that came from. (You'll see in the chapter)

Good luck, dear readers. See you on the other side. And also once in the middle of the chapter bc I was stupid. Enjoy!

"You're going down, McLean."
*****

Percy was an absolute wreck. He'd been pacing the hall outside the courtroom for at least ten minutes, trying to prepare himself for the trial. Thankfully, he wouldn't have to listen to his mother's testimony, as the witnesses were to be sent out of the courtroom beforehand. He wasn't sure if he had the self-control to listen to Sally talk about the things Gabe had done to her and have no reaction to it.

About fifteen minutes before the trial was supposed to begin, the courtroom door creaked open. Percy hoped it was just his mother, coming to comfort him before the whole ordeal went down, but he got Sally's straight-laced, emotionless lawyer instead.

"Perseus," the lanky man ignored Percy's frown at his full name, "there are some things you and I need to talk about. If only you'd been there while I spoke with your mother all last weekend."

Percy already didn't like the guy, but he was the boy's only chance at living a somewhat normal life. He supposed he could deal with the man for a short while.

"I've discussed with the judge and the defense attorney," the man continued speaking, "we've decided that it's best for you to write your responses. A translator will be there to read them for the attorneys, judge, and whoever else decides they have nothing better to do with their lives than be here. You have to write your testimony out on the stand, though. They don't want you fabricating stories beforehand or anything like that. Stop writing when you finish a specific account and we'll submit the correlating photo as evidence for each one. Got it?"

Percy thought that was it, but when he nodded, the lawyer just kept on talking to him, "If the defense decides to cross-examine you, be as brief as possible. Straight to the point. Their goal is to change your story and make you look like a liar, kid. Don't let them. Any questions?"

The green-eyed boy could think of at least ten questions just off the top of his head, but he had no desire to continue the conversation with the man. He shook his head, sighing in relief when the lawyer bid him goodbye and made his way back into the courtroom.

Instead of returning to his pacing, Percy sat down on one of the benches lining the hallway. He rested his elbows on his knees and leaned his head down, running an anxious hand through his hair. His mother suggested that he style it for the day to look more professional, but he'd decided that the dark button-down currently strangling him was professional enough for him.

"Well, somebody looks like they forgot they were friends with Leo Valdez," Percy heard a voice call out from a few feet away.

Confused and a little shocked, Percy lifted his head to see the aforementioned Latino boy standing nearby in the hall. He heard faint chattering come closer until Piper and Jason also appeared in Percy's line of sight. Percy smiled softly at the three, forcing himself to his feet and walking over to greet them.