A Ship of Sadness

Elsa's P.O.V.

I rested my head on the wooden planks that built up the ship. How was Hans doing? I let out a sigh and just looked straight ahead, at his castle. I remembered the squeeze he gave me. Maybe that squeeze wasn't to say no or to tell the truth. Maybe it was a signal that he had to go. Maybe it was because he was wishing me luck.

"Queen Elsa, are you ready to head back to Arendelle?" Kai asked, breaking the silence.

"Yes," I said, waving my finger in a swirling motion as if to say to start the engine. But my head didn't lift. It started positioned on the wood.

"Very well, your majesty." I felt him bow behind me but this time I didn't return the favor. Not too long after, I heard people barking orders at each other once more and the ship lurched forward. I was taken with the ship but pulled myself together and went back to flicking splinters into the ocean. How long was it going to be until I saw Hans again? I got up from where I was seated and headed to the room below the deck, where Hans was before we had arrived at the Southern Isles.

I delicately placed my hand on the wooden walls, making ice form. I walked down slower and slower toward the bed I had rested on, which was now neatly organized. Ice kept running up the walls as I plopped myself on the bed. I straightened out the creases on the bed that had formed because of me sitting. The memory of Hans completely overwhelmed me and I felt tears gathering in my eyes. I hung my head low and placed it on my hands. Then the tears started rolling down my cheeks.

"Queen Elsa, would you like anything?" I heard Gerda ask as her feet clicked on the wood. "Oh my! What happened?" she asked again, sounding much more worried. I heard her feet click at a faster pace toward me.

"I'm fine, Gerda. Please, don't worry about me," I said, breaking out into more tears. I didn't lift my head from its position. I just wanted all of this to be over. Just lock myself up in my room and ignore the world.

"But your majesty--"

"Go!" I yelled at her. I didn't know what I was doing. I felt bothered by her presence. I just needed to be alone. "I just need some time alone."

"Yes, your majesty," she said hurriedly and scurried away. I felt more ice reach out to the walls. I finally lifted my head and saw that the room was frozen solid. Outside I could hear gasps and scared voices. Suddenly, I heard footsteps heading down to where I was. I stood up and walked to the stairs quickly. There, I formed an ice wall to prevent anyone from coming in. I went back to the bed to cry some more. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw prison guards trying to break down the wall I had made. I sat down and slowly lied down on the bed. I closed my eyes as the last tears streamed down my cheeks and waited. Just waited for the gentle voice to reassure me and the warm hand to nudge me awake.