33.) broken memories

______

•••
"this heart will break,
sometimes,
to take a better shape"

•••
______

Cassia's POV

__________

Cassia felt like the world around her had stopped. Completely frozen.

She saw no one but Jungkook. Nothing else mattered. Nothing but Jungkook. She had worried so much. Cassia worried about him so much that sometimes when the shadow of her brother had appeared in her daydreams again or clouded her mind like a gust of thick, white smoke she felt her throat close up, feeling like she was going to choke.

Oh, and how bad it hurt. It had hurt so goddamn much to not know whether he was safe, where he was or when he was going to contact her again. She always knew that he was out there. She felt so close to him yet so far away. Like her fingertips were inches away from brushing against him but someone was holding her back.

And now Cassia was holding him, she could feel his heart beat against her chest, his breath on her neck and his strong arms around her. Jungkook was here. She had her little brother again. He was safe. Their father couldn't hurt him any longer. He was here, he was breathing and he was safe. He was safe!

Cassia couldn't let go. The cries that left her throat sounded clogged up with tears and her screaming. Two years. She hadn't held her little brother for two whole years.

"Kookie" she sobbed into his shoulder, clinging onto him for dear life. Cassia was shaking with the shock of suddenly having him back, her whole body a trembling, sobbing mess.

Jungkook held her tight, not one second did he think of letting go. He picked her up and hugged her so tight to his body only stopping when he was sure her small form would break if he didn't loosen his grip. They sank to the ground with each other in their arms.

No one said anything, the silence only broken by Cassia's cries. She slowly drew back from his embrace to look into his eyes. It was really him. Her Kookie. Tears were rolling down his cheeks, arms still clung around Cassia.

She brought one hand up to gently wipe his tears, a smile playing on her lips. They had to start laughing when they looked at each other's red, tear stained faces. It seemed like a dream, like one big hallucination. But it wasn't. He was here and their eyes were burning with tears to prove it.

"It's been so long" were the first words that left Jungkook's lips. Cassia slowly nodded, the tears still wouldn't stop so she retained from trying to wipe them away because when she did, new ones replaced them within seconds.

When she managed to get her voice out again, she was a little shocked by how choked up and raspy it still sounded. "I worried so much" she whispered, not leaving Jungkook's deep brown eyes. They were her eyes, the same rich hazel colour.

"Why didn't you tell me?" she ran a hand through his hair, something she had missed doing. Her eyes never leaving his face, trying to remember every single detail like someone was going to rip him out of her arms any second again.

"I couldn't" Jungkook curtly shook his head. "too risky"

Cassia nodded her head to show she understood but didn't ask any further questions. She wasn't going to bring their father up. Not now. He had already ruined enough.