34.) you can't break us

___________

•••
"all you see are broken bits,
scattered randomly.
but observe carefully,
we are all kaleidoscopes-
colorful art structured within chaos."

-qasim chauhan& thangbalay
•••

__________

Cassia's POV

__________

The tenseness that Jungkook's words had left hovering over them soon faded. The joy of having him back was stronger than any other feeling in the room and when they all sat around Nari and Tae's huge dining table for lunch the sun seemed to shine again.

Cassia sat inbetween Tae and Jungkook. Feeling both of their shoulders graze against her own made her feel reassured. Her left hand was intertwined with Tae's. He was playing with her fingers and Cassia soon realized how much she had missed his soft touch.

She payed closer attention to his features, watched his arms reach for food across from the table, his adams apple move when he was drinking and his eyes flutter closed when he was taking deep breaths. Something about him was off. He looked exhausted.

She noticed the concealer under his eyes and how heavy they looked. She noticed that his voice sounded tired and his movements seemed feeble.

There was no doubt the stress was getting to him. Cassia glanced over, Jungkook was caught up in deep conversation with Namjoon and Jin so she leaned into Tae and ever so subtly whispered into his ear.

"How are you?" she let her eyes show worry but made her voice sound soft.

"Just glad to have you back, princess" his deep, husky voice made the hair on her arms stand up and goosebumps arise.

"I missed you" she whispered back, his hand was stroking her thigh and she let her fingers trace over the veins of his arm.

"you look tired, Tae. Please don't lie to me, I know you haven't been sleeping" Cassia mumbled and Taehyung's smile froze for a second. She could tell by the way Nari had stopped chewing that she was listening.

Cassia expected him to deny it. To reassure her that he was fine. So his answer surprised her.

"my mind's a mess, Cassia"

His smile looked sad. It was insane how much she could relate to him. Her hand squeezed his.

"mine is too. Let's talk about this later, okay?" as much as Cassia liked Nari, this was something between her and Tae. She didn't feel comfortable enough yet to pour all her feelings out to her boyfriend's sister as well. Talking about the depths of her mind took her enough courage as it was.

Taehyung nodded and filled his plate with more salad. Nari started eating again as well, she had gotten the message. Cassia glanced at Tae's food. Salad. Spinach. Asparagus. Lentils.

"How long until Fashion Week?" she asked.

Taehyung didn't look up from his plate, he seemed lost in thought. Cassia wouldn't mind getting lost too, his chaos didn't scare her. Only her own did.