46.) drowning

_________

•••
"You only liked the version
of me that liked you more
than themself"

-Avdicy
•••

__________

Cassia's POV

"Cassandra"

There was nothing she had to say. A daughter stunned into silence.

His hand stayed on her shoulder, palm firmly pressed against her covered skin. Cassia watched his navy blue suit appear into the frame. She still refused to look anywhere but straight ahead at the wall.

Slowly his hand left her shoulder and she felt as though she could at least breath again, knuckles turning white from gripping the arm rests so strongly.

"You look healthy" his voice sounded the same. The deep sonority burning itself back into her mind. Like a forgotten memory, a shadow of a man she had suppressed for so long taking back it's shape.

"Why am I here" a whisper. Hoarse and small but determined to be heard.

He sat down at the office table in front of her, facing the chair she sat in. Her eyes adverted. They met. Cassia had inherited her mother's hazel eyes, eyes that were gentle and held kindness.

Nothing of the striking, deep brown of her father's eyes could be found in them. Like daggers they pierced through her chest.

He looked older. White and grey strands of hair littering the deep black. Wrinkles around the eyes and mouth. Tired eyes. Empty eyes.

The blue suit and velvet tie he wore couldn't hide the bleakness of his cold character. A man like him, no matter how colourful or warm his attire he chose to present himself in, would never be seen in colour. You could not cover a heart of stone. You could not cover ice.

"You are here because I want you here. You can run from me all you want, hide in a life you pretend to want but you will never be able to change who you are. You are my daughter and my rightful heiress" he spoke, intertwining his fingers. Cassia recognized the ruby ring he always wore. Almost everything about him had stayed the same yet everything felt different. Cassia felt as though she was looking at a stranger.

"It is time you return home, Cassandra" no smile was seen on his lips, no warmth for the child he had not seen for two whole years. Only a tone of strictness filled his voice and controlled his posture.

One burning gaze from him and Cassia felt like she was the little girl from her childhood again. Behave. Listen to your father. It was never an argument of what she wanted or what she thought, only what she was told and had to do.

"Your mother is heartbroken. She misses you every day"

Cassia broke the eye contact, staring down at her lap. He wasn't playing fair. Guilt struk her at the mention of her mother. No, remember why you left.

"What do you want from me?"

"I expect you to come back home to Korea with me"