Chapter Twenty-Five:

The story about Aiden's attempt of suicide spread through the entire school in less than three days.

As expected, the whole school has their rumours going and there is about two that blames me and Amanda for it.

The first one is automatically because of me moving on, the second one is that Amanda may have cheated on him and he couldn't handle it after losing me completely.

Amanda is working more on my nerves now than before, and Hunter keeps going missing around lunch time.

Because of that, a lot of other rumours are going around about our "relationship".

"Everyone's whispering that Hunter might be cheating on you." Bianca tells me at our lunch table while Hunter is once again, missing.

"Well, is he?" I ask, looking at Tyler to Steph and back at Bianca.

Neither of them could answer me, instead they look away or carry-on eating. "

Julie, it doesn't matter if he does see someone else." Bianca starts talking again, "You guys aren't exactly together," ouch, why does that hurt? "And..."

"No 'and's' Bee, the school doesn't know that. Aiden doesn't know that, and neither does Amanda!" I exclaim and she and Steph exchange knowing looks.

I am fuming and I don't why I am.

Is it the rumours?

Aiden's attempt of suicide and me being blamed?

Hunter's whereabouts?

The bell signals the end of lunch and I feel relieve to escape the cafeteria where everyone is staring and whispering.

Why is high school so dramatic?

I did not ask the guy to kill himself.

Just to leave me alone.

Where is Hunter when I need him?
__________________________________

"Julia," I hear the annoyed sigh of Mr Jones.

I look up from my folded hands in my lap and at his tired face, "typical of you to join our class without your books. Do me this favour and just take notes please."

He looks exhausted, but so am I.

I am too deep in my thoughts to think straight and focus on taking notes.

I am hurt by Hunter, I'll admit it.

I thought that after the carnival we had something.

It has been about four days after the carnival, and he has been so distant.

What happened to "I wish I had met you sooner?"

It's silly of me to think that he was different than Aiden, but he really did seem different.

If he can cheat on me in a fake relationship, he can probably do it in a real one too.

I think back at Aiden's words and feel a pang in my heart.

Maybe that's why he did what he did, because we're not together?

It still hurts though.

Why didn't I just accept my feelings for Hunter?

I hear whispers from the robots around me and look at each of them.

Some looks back at me, but quickly avert their gaze.

Gee, it's annoying being the talk of the school.

Get a life.

___________________________________

"Hunter! Wait!" I call after him, gripping the straps of my backpack.

It is the very first time I can talk to him after the carnival.

I want to know what is going on.

He stops dead in his tracks and slowly turns to face me.

I always missed him before he went to football practice or home.

He made sure to avoid me, but this time I am on time.

He is already in his sport uniform.

"Where were you at lunch?" I ask curiously and he looks down.

"Uhm, well, I was..." He pauses for a moment, "in class. The teacher told me to finish my homework during lunch time." His answer is rushed.

It's a lie.

"Did you hear the rumours?" I ask, and he was quiet for a long time.

So long that I thought he didn't hear me.

"Yeah, Julia, listen," I feel a tug at my heart at the familiar words, "I don't like this pretending business."

The way he states it is harsh, "I fell for you, and it hurts Julia. It hurts that you are just using me to get revenge at other people who had hurt you. To get revenge at your ex, and you obviously did, isn't that enough?" His voice is shaky and for the first time I see his hazel eyes sad, and not happy or soft.

"I-." He stops me from talking.

"Let go of your hatred Julia...you're hurting other people who actually cares about you." He whispers.

A cold feeling grips my heart. "Hunter..." I trail off, not finding the right words.

He has a point; I am hurting myself as well for not telling him sooner about my feelings.

"Julia, I wanted to be your happy ending." He starts, "I wanted to make you happy. Give you things your parents can't, but you just won't let me."

The way he tells the truth of my parents didn't bother me at this moment, "That's why I found someone who will." His words hurt me.

I feel the tears dreading to fall like a waterfall. "Hunter...I want you to be my happily ever after..." I whisper and I see the tears in his eyes.

He's standing before me with his hands in his pockets and his head bowed down.

He looks up and meets my eyes, then he looks over my shoulder before meeting my eyes again, "A little too late now, Julia..." He pushes past me, and I turn around, watching him walk into another girl's arms.

The way she holds him and looks at me tells me that he is probably crying on her shoulder.

Well, now I have a reason to be called the bitch in school.

I take in a shaky breath and turn around, walking towards the opposite exit.

No way am I walking past them where she can look me dead in the eye while holding him.

No way am I walking past them where he can see me crying.

No way am I going to see him cry.

No way am I ever getting over this...and here I thought everything was fine.

________________________________

(Edited.)