• 32 •

Percy's POV

Beep beep! I heard the sound of Reyna's horn honking in front of me. I quickly got in the front seat of car, knowing Reyna had to move soon. You couldn't stay in one place for very long in New York City.

"Hey." Reyna smiled at me.

"Hey." I returned the grin.

Reyna began the drive to Annabeth's house. "You know you're going to have to get in the back, right?"

"Eh, we'll see about that." I said.

"Yeah? Good luck with that." Reyna gave a small laugh.

***

We pulled up to Annabeth's house. Reyna honked the horn. A minute later, Annabeth walked out of her front door, locking it behind her. She was wearing spandex shorts, a t-shirt from some old band, white knee high socks, with black knee pads over them, and some sneakers. On top of it all, she was wearing her burgundy winter coat. I had absolutely no idea how she wasn't freezing, but hey—that's Annabeth for you.

As soon as she saw me sitting in the front seat, she shook her head as if to say nice try, but get in the back. Now.

"Hello Wise Girl." I smirked at Annabeth.

"Get in the back Percy." Annabeth said unamused.

"Come on." I complained.

"Nope." Annabeth opened the door. She leaned in the car over me and unbuckled my seat belt. "Bye bye." She shooed me away.

"We're gonna be late!" Reyna reminded us.

I reluctantly got out of the front seat and got into the back seat of the car. "Only because I'm a good boyfriend."

Annabeth sighed. "Oh I know. It's not like I'm not dating you for your brains."

"That's for sure." Reyna chimed in, grinning at Annabeth.

"Hey!" I complained. We all laughed.

***

Reyna watched Annabeth contently from the table where she sat. She watched as a group of twelve girls scrimmaged. Annabeth went for every ball that she could. She slid on her knees and saved her win serves. Her serves. She hit the ball so hard, she had to stand about three feet behind the serving like just to keep the ball in. She was always ready for the ball, and she looked happy while playing. Her face etched with determination and focus. She made some amazing saves. I cheered for her from the bleachers. Every time she made a good save, or served an ace, I clapped or cheered. And not only was she great at volleyball, she looked great too. She was in great shape for volleyball. Or any sport really.

When the scrimmage was over, Reyna turned and conversed with the two other girls sitting at the table. All the girls trying out sat on the floor a few feet from the table. They all talked and laughed together, congratulated each other, saying "nice serve!" or "that was an awesome save!" I could tell that Annabeth liked hanging out with the girls there. All of them bonded over a common interest; volleyball. And I'm sharing this interest they talked and learned that they had even more in common. I was happy for Annabeth.

Finally, Reyna spoke. "Girls, thank you for coming out today to try out for the team. Your hard work is appreciated. The list of who made the team will be posted tomorrow. You are dismissed." All the girls got up and began to walk to the doors. Annabeth came running to me. I stood and walked down the bleachers to meet her. She jumped into my arms and I spun her around.

We kissed before I spoke. "That was amazing, Annabeth! You're so gonna make the team." I smiled at her.

She beamed right back at me. "I don't know if I'll make the team, but this was really fun. I liked playing and hanging out with the girls."

Reyna came over to us. "Hey! That was awesome!" They hugged.

"Thanks." Annabeth smiles at her. Her face was shining in the light of the gym, from her sweaty complexion. I thought she looked beautiful.

"So... you're on the team!" Reyna smiled at Annabeth.

Annabeth's eyes got huge. "What?! That's awesome!" She exclaimed.

"Oh don't act so surprised." Reyna waved her hand and rolled her eyes playfully.

"Yeah. There's no way that Reyna could not put you on the team. You're amazing."

Annabeth smiled at me.

"Yeah. Even if we weren't friends, you'd still make it on the team one hundred percent." Annabeth's eyes got wide again like you didn't. "And no, I did not rig it, relax. The two other girls I was with, Phoebe and Hylla, they actually brought you up before I could. They thought you definitely deserved a spot on the team."

Annabeth's smile got so wide, I thought her face would split in half.

"Anyways. I have to help decide for the boys team too, so, you guys wanna stay?" Reyna asked.

"Well, we don't really have a choice. I'm not letting Annabeth walk outside in the cold in her little shorts." I said.

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "My 'little shorts'?" Annabeth laughed. "I appreciate your concern, Seaweed Brain, But I'd be fine. And I want to see how good the boys are."

I got uneasy at this. Apparently, Annabeth sensed it. "Relax Percy." Annabeth laughed. "I wanna see their volleyball skills. I wouldn't want to date anyone but you." She kissed me, and I gladly kissed back. The passion I could feel in the kiss, I knew that she meant what she said.

***

The boys weren't bad, but Annabeth could singlehandedly beat all of them in a game. As they played Annabeth pointed out everything they did wrong. "Oh, he didn't bend his knees." She would say when someone hit the ball, and it hit the ceiling. "He didn't look at the middle." She'd point out if someone hit the ball out.

By the end of tryouts, it was 8:00p.m., and it was pitch black outside. As we all walked back to Reyna's car, I admired Annabeth. I saw her profile in the moonlight, and she looked stunning. Even with sweat kissed skin and her little baby hairs all over the place. I squeezed her hand and she squeezed mine back, and smiled at me.

I knew that as we all laughed and talked, that Annabeth and I were meant to be. She made me happier than I had been in months. Her smile that lit up an entire room sending butterflies fluttering in my stomach. Her laugh was probably the most amazing sound I'd ever heard. When she would laugh at something I did or said, it was genuine, and real. It's was perfect.

She was perfect. We're meant to be together. Nothing could happen to break us apart.

Author's note

Guys I know I've been a little slow in updates and I'm sorry. I'll try to update more often. It's just that I'm writing a story which will be out on wattpad after I type it up and all that. It's called Stronger With You. Until then, I'm writing this and then another story that it is called What Could Have Been. My friend Seth helped me with the title and some character names and he wanted credit so yeah. Its based on a true story that happened to me. And you'll think I'm being ridiculous and whatever like bella your in sixth grade. Ur like five wtf. But yes. It's true. It did happen.

Anyways, enough of my rambling. Thanks for all the reads. Don't forget comment and vote. Love you guys!
-bella💕