• 36 •

Annabeth's POV

I got my books from my locker and was about to head home, but I was stopped by Piper. "You want me to drive you home?"

"No it's fine. I need some time to think anyways."

"Okay. See you tomorrow." Piper and I walked our separate ways. I finally got to the school's main entrance. I pushed open the door to find none other than grey skies and rain. Great. Now I get to walk home in the rain. It's December. It couldn't just snow? It had to rain?! If I had known about the weather, I would have accepted pipers offer. But of course, she was probably long gone by now. I pulled up my hood and began the seven-block-walk home.

***

I was still six blocks away from home. It felt like I had already trudged through a mile of inch deep rain water. The sides of the streets were filled like little rivers. It was going to flood. And to make everything worse, it was raining and freezing cold. I was going to get hypothermia. Lovely.

Suddenly someone pulled up to me and honked the horn. I looked up through the window to see who it is. Percy. He rolled down the window. "Annabeth!" He had to raise his voice over the rain and traffic of Manhattan. "Let me give you a ride!" He insisted.

"Nope. I'm fine." I yelled back. I kept walking, and I wasn't paying attention to where I was going, causing me to step in a huge puddle. My already wet jeans were now soaked. Brilliant.

Percy honked again. He followed me. This boy is relentless. "Come on! I'm not letting you walk all the way home!" He said.

I finally rolled my eyes and huffed as I walked over to the car. I opened the passenger door and got in. I was sure that my clothes soaked his car, but I didn't exactly care at the moment. I just sat there with my arms crossed, and a disgruntled look on my face.

"You must be freezing." Percy said as he turned up the heat. I didn't say anything. The ride was awkward and silent, and a heavy feeling hung in the air.

When he finally pulled up to my house, which was after only a five minute ride, that felt like it took hours, I was eager to get out of the car. I pushed open the door and braced myself for more rain. My clothes were still wet, but had dried only the slightest bit in the car. Before I walked up the path, I turned back to Percy. "And just so you know, I'm still mad at you. But thank you for the ride." Than I speed walked up the path and to the door.

I quickly got inside, then watched Percy drive off from the window. I went upstairs and stripped off my wet clothes, throwing them in the wash. Then I went to my room and showered. I changed into leggings and a sweatshirt. I didn't bother to put on a shirt under that. Too much work. I spent the entirety of the day inside. No way was I going back out in that weather.

***

It was about 8:00 at night, the sun set long ago, leaving the darkness to take over. The rain was still coming down, but not as hard. It was a bit heavier than a sprinkle. I was laying in my bed, watching Netflix on my laptop, when I heard something outside my window. It sounded like... music. I carefully went over to the window, and looked out in a way that I couldn't be seen. The last thing I needed was a stalker coming to kill me. But he wasn't s stalker. He was Percy.

Percy stood outside my window, in the rain, playing an acoustic guitar. I instantly recognized the song he was playing; 'If I Could Tell Her' from Dear Evan Hansen. He knew that I had recently become invested in this play, that song being my favorite one. I opened the window. Percy sang the lyrics and oh my God.

His voice is perfect. It's not like dramatically amazing, but sort of subtle and perfect, and real. (A/n- anyone get it??) It was amazing.

"But he kept it all, inside his head
What he saw, he left unsaid.
If I could tell her, tell her everything I see
If I could tell her, how she's everything to me.
But we're a million worlds apart
And I don't know how I would even start.
If I could tell her..."

He held the note out perfectly. He didn't really know the songs before, so he must have been practicing to learn it on guitar and all the lyrics. He smiled at me while I leaned out the window and listened to him sing. Then, I closed the window and went to the front door. I opened it and stepped out, not caring about the rain. I had pulled on some Ugg slippers before I went out. Percy kept singing and I began to sing along. I walked closer to him, slowly.

"But what do you do when there's this great divide?" He sang.
"He just seems so far away." I sing back.
"And what do you when the distance is too wide?"
"It's like I don't know anything."
"How do you say,"
The next part we sang together.
"I love you
I love you
I love you."
"I love you." I held out the last high note. At this point, Percy and I were nose to nose, staring in each other's eyes. God, I missed him so much.

Percy placed his guitar against his car. "Annabeth, I'm sorry. I miss you. I love you... can you forgive me?" He asked, sincerity (A/n you get it??) in his eyes.

I leaned in close. "Of course I can." I pulled him in for a long, passionate kiss. When we pulled away, Percy had a huge goofy grin on his face. He's so adorable. Then, he reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone. 'If I Could Tell Her' began playing. Percy slipped the phone back into his pocket. He reached his hand out and bowed to me. "May I have this dance?" He smirked at me.

I laughed and took his hand. He pulled me in and we slow danced into the street. The back roads that I live on are nearly never busy, especially at this time of night. We swayed back and forth, Percy's hands on my waist and my arms around his neck. I rested my head on his shoulder. He leaned his head against mine.

Then I looked up at Percy, and he looked down at me. We stared into each other's eyes, only centimeters away. I leaned in and closed the gap, with another passionate kiss. After about a minute of making out, Percy said against my lips "You still mad at me?" I knew he was quoting me from before. I chuckled softly and said "Yes." jokingly. After gently laughing together, we kissed again.

We continued to dance, not caring how late it was. We just swayed, in the middle of the street, in the rain, together.

And that was all that mattered.

That we were together.