• 38 •

Annabeth's POV

The game was going well so far. We had won the first part and were now switching sides for the next. Reyna announced our positions on the court. We had first serve this time. Reyna was serving first for our team. I was placed just in front of her, in position two. I looked to the crowd before the game started and saw the entire group next to Percy. Leo, Calypso, Piper, Jason—who just happened to be standing very close to each other—Hazel, Frank, Thalia, and Nico was standing with a blonde haired boy who I identified as Will Solace. Why they were hanging out, I have no idea. But Nico seemed happier. So that made me happy.

I was shaken from my thoughts when the ref blew the whistle. "Serve it up Reyna, serve it up!" I called out. The team responded with a clap, clap, stomp.

Reyna bounced the ball several times. She threw it up and hit it over hand. Her hand connected with the ball with a loud smack, due to Reyna having a flat overhand serve. The ball sailed just above the net, and the other team thought it would be short, but it wasn't.

"One, two, three!" I called. The entire team did our ace cheer. "Ace!"

Drew looked pretty angered at this. She glared right at Reyna, and Reyna paid her absolutely no attention, shutting her down. Reyna served it over the net, straight to the back row, incredibly hard. Somehow, Drew was able to return the serve. It came straight back over to me and I hit it back over the net. The ball came back to us and we all called it out, because it was, but the ref said that it was 'on the line'. I thought it was ridiculous, but obviously I didn't say that, for I have good sportsmanship.

Oh, and if you're wondering why I'm not surprised to see drew playing for the opposing school, it's because Reyna had already told me. And you know that saying "would it kill you to..."? Yeah, well I think it would actually kill Drew if she had to play on a team with me.

Because I'd strangle her within the first five minutes.

Anyways, it was the other team's turn to serve. A girl that I didn't know hit the ball and it came between me and Vera, another girl on my team.  I called "got it!" And just before it hit the floor, I slid and hit it back over. Everyone cheered.

I looked to the crowd and Percy was standing up. He's so funny. The rest of the group joined him, over-dramatically yelling my name—especially Leo. I would have to get him for that later. I looked back to Percy. We made eye contact and he winked at me—I winked back. Then I realized that my dad was standing next to Percy, smiling at me. My smile grew even wider and I was truly happy in that second.

I peeled my attention from them and put it back on the game. The other team reacted just in time and they performed a basic play; someone one hit it up to the setter; the setter set it to the spiker; the spiker (a.k.a. Drew) hit it down straight towards the victim (a.k.a. Me). It was right near the net so I had to slide to hit it. I realized that I wouldn't have time to bump it so I just slid onto my chest and stuck my hand out flat on the floor and hoped for the best. The ball came down and hit—

My hand.

The ball bounced up and Vera reacted just in time to hit the ball over the net. The entire gym was filled with screams and cheers. I looked up and Percy was no longer the only one standing. My dad was standing, cheering me on. The entire group was practically bouncing. Leo, however, was screaming at the top of his lungs "YEAH ANNABETH! YOU SHOW 'EM! WOOOO!" jumping up and down. I felt that this was in more of an effort to annoy me. My dad looked from he group to me and smiled. I knew he could tell that I'd found a good group of friends.

Even Nico was cheering my name. He had a smile on my face, laughing with Will as he yelled my name to embarrass me. Just the thought that Nico was smiling made my heart melt. It was good to know that he could be happy.