• 37 •

Percy's POV

"So Annabeth, you ready for our game tonight?" Reyna asked, excitement in her voice.

"If you mean completely nervous and a total wreck, than yes." Annabeth replied.

"You'll be fine Annabeth. You're a great player. There's nothing you have to worry about. Just pretend it's a practice."

"Yeah. The only thing you have to worry about, is keeping the ball in bounds when serving, despite our ginormous gym." Reyna said with a laugh. I joined in. Annabeth just rolled her eyes, though she smiled.

"Thanks guys." Annabeth looked at Reyna before placing her head on my shoulder. She grabbed my hand and squeezed. I squeezed back.

"And we'll be right here supporting you. Reyna from on the court and me from in the stands." I said.

"Yeah, but don't you have swim practice?"

"Yeah, But Coach Hedge said I could leave early. He knows I don't need much practice."

"Okay. As long as you're there."

"Of course, Wise Girl. I wouldn't miss it for the world." I smiled down at her.

"Aw. You guys make me sick." Reyna said. We all laughed.

***

By the time Reyna and Annabeth's game came around, I was actually excited. Volleyball was pretty fun to watch. I arrived in the gym when the girls were warming up on each side of the court. Reyna was leading the stretches before the girls all volleyed in a circle. Annabeth slid into the middle multiple times to get the ball, when no one else did. That's my Annabeth.

At one point, I locked eyes with Annabeth, and she smiled. My already smiling face looked like it might split in half, or so I thought. Annabeth's gaze was then torn from mine when she had to hit the ball.

My gaze drifted over to the other side of the court, so I could see what competition our Eagles had. The other team looked pretty good. I had a sense of doubt but then looked to our team just in time to see Annabeth save the ball, hitting it back to the middle. My hope was renewed.

***

It was a couple minutes into the first game. The score was 17:18, Goode was winning. The game had been really close. Finally, it was Annabeth's turn to serve. She threw the call up and hit it over hand, really hard. It flew past the front and back row, and landed on the back line—it was Goode's point.

"One, two, three!" Reyna called out. The entire team did a series of claps and stomps before yelling "Ace!" Annabeth had told me that an ace was when someone serves and no one on the other side touches it. The ball was rolled back to Annabeth. Another hard serve. This time, it was coming in deep to the middle of the back row—right to... Drew?! I hadn't seen her before when they were practicing. Maybe she came in late? Why Drew was playing for a different school, I had no idea. Anyways, Drew tried to hit the ball, but she just hit it out. She glared at Annabeth. My eyes snapped to Annabeth who stared straight back at Drew, with a look saying oh really? Drew backed down. Annabeth had the scariest death glare I had ever seen.

Annabeth got the ball back. This time, Annabeth hit it a little too hard. It flew straight passed the other team's heads and hit the wall with a loud smack. Annabeth looked a little relieved. Reyna just walked up and high-fives her. I think she said something like 'good job'. I couldn't tell.

The game went on like this. Thankfully, our team won the first game. I was hoping they would have an easy win. But of course, when did anything I hope for ever happen?

Things were about to get interesting.