• 44 •

Percy's POV

I heard her high heels clicking against the cafeteria floor before I saw the look on Jason and Piper's faces. I sighed annoyedly and turned around after Annabeth had done the same.

And there she stood. 10 pounds of makeup, clothes that are way too tight to be good for blood circulation, black hair stiff with too much hairspray, and pink heels that look nearly impossible to walk in.

"Drew." Annabeth stood up, straight posture, looking very civilized. But her glare was murderous. I don't know how but Drew didn't cower in fear when she and Annabeth locked eyes.

"Hey Annie." Drew fake smiled at us. She winked at me and Annabeth scoffed as I glared at Drew. I realized that everyone in the cafeteria was now watching Drew and Annabeth, most likely waiting for a brawl. "I just wanted to let you know that you should back down." Drew took a step closer to Annabeth.

"Back down from what?" Annabeth asked, moving up to show Drew that she wasn't scared of her. And she shouldn't be. Annabeth is better than Drew in a million ways.

"My position." Drew said. "Of the popular girl." That was true. Annabeth had become more well known since we started dating. But Annabeth deserved it. She's an amazing person, who everyone should have the chance to meet (on her good side of course). "People have become more interested in you rather than me." Drew pointed. "I have absolutely no idea why though." She said.

"Oh, let me think." Annabeth put a hand on her chin. "Maybe it's because, they're sick of a rabid bitchy tyrant like you scaring them into liking you." Annabeth remarked. There were a couple oooh's from the audience of students.

Drew looked angry now. "Back down now. Or else." She threatened.

"Or else what?" Annabeth pushed. She had a look that said try me. Her arms were crossed in front of her, her glare burning straight through drew.

"I'll tell everyone." Drew paused. "I'll tell everyone about the summer of eighth grade." Drews voice was low now, so only Annabeth and I could hear.

Annabeth looked scared for a split second, before regaining her intimidating facade. "You wouldn't." Annabeth whispered through gritted teeth.

"Oh. But I would." Drew said, giving us a another fake smile. "Have a nice lunch, Annie." Drew got in her face. She then turned and walked out of the cafeteria, trying way too hard to look triumphant, and just ending up looking desperate.

Annabeth was fuming. I could tell, though she did a good job of hiding it. I knew when she got upset, or when she wasn't okay. Despite her efforts of pushing it away. I just knew. Annabeth sat down. Her fists were clenched so tightly that her knuckles were white.

"Hey. What was that?" I whispered.

Annabeth softened a bit. "Not here." She said simply.

"What was that about?" Leo asked. The others joined in.

"Nothing." Annabeth said.

"Annabeth, you're sure I can't kick her ass?" Reyna asked looking angry.

"Unfortunately, yes. I can't have you go fighting people for me and getting in trouble. And besides, If drew really needed to have her ass kicked—"

"Annabeth would've done it already." I finished.

"You got that right." Jason said.

The rest of lunch was spent trying to make conversation. Many attempts had failed. But I was just thinking. 

How dense is Drew?

I mean, Annabeth keeps out smarting her and Drew keeps coming back for more. I mean, how dumb can you be? Okay, I know—I'm not the brightest bulb in the bunch, but this... this is just like pure stupidity. Like this is lower than my IQ.

But what worried me the most was the summer of eighth grade. I wanted to find out what that meant, because Annabeth was taken back by it.

I needed to know why this had hit her so hard.