17

Best birthday ever!

"Happy Birthday!"

Everyone screamed as soon as my foot entered the apartment. Everyone including Matt, Sam, Cathie, Luke and my parents. Happy tears trolled down to my cheeks as I couldn't believe my eyes. Every birthday of mine till date consisted of dressing up, cutting cake, go to a fine restaurant with my parents and Matt and open all the presents at last. This was a sort of ritual which was formed which I never broke.

"Thank you." I whispered in a small tone, not finding my voice. All of this was too overwhelming for me. I rubbed the tears that were falling down my cheeks with the back of my hand and hugged everyone starting with Matt and ending with my parents. All of them looked lovely and had wore birthday caps on their head.

Isn't it ironic how everyone is dressed up other than the birthday girl?

"One for you." Luke came and put a birthday cap on my head as I grinned from ear to ear.

"Time for cake cutting!" Cathie said loudly and everyone started screaming 'yeah's'. My parents went to the kitchen and got the cake. My eyes literally came out of the socket looking at the beauty. I don't understand how people manage to make such beautiful cakes. It was a two floored cake which looked too pretty to eat. The base was decorated with pink flowers all over it and the top floor was golden colour dripping with pink icing. The candles were lying on the side of the table near the cake. Matt gave Luke a questioning gaze looking at the candles as he smiled sheepishly.

"The candles would have ruin it's beauty." Cathie let out a full blown laugh, so did my parents, while Matt was busy glaring at Luke. My eyes searched for my tiny guy who was the best blessing and a chuckle escaped my mouth at his sight who was busy staring at the cake licking his lips.

Someone was eager to eat the cake.

"This is the first time in the entire history where a birthday girl is not going to blow off the candles." Matt said dramatically, still digging holes at the back of Luke's head who looked completely unaffected by it.

Thirty minutes and lots of cake in all of our tummies later, it was time for them to leave because apparently this was just a small surprise as they were going to take me out for birthday dinner because as Matt said, "The tradition must be followed."

Gifts were left untouched as they were to be opened later at night after coming from the dinner. The location of the place was unknown to me as I didn't have the slightest idea where they were going to take me. They did not even mention if it's a restaurant or some picnic spot leaving me like a loner. The curiousity was killing me as the suspense grew wider and wider because of their hushed whispers.

Cathie and Luke had already left leaving me with my parents, Matt as Sam was fast asleep. He slept instantly after eating the cake, so I tugged him in bed. When I came back my parents had already left and Matt was lost in his thoughts, a grin fixated on his lips making my curiousity reach to the highest peak.

"Matt?"

"Um hmm."

"Where are we going for dinner?" I never liked being that person who had no idea what was going on and Matt made his mission to not let any information slide because his response was something like this, "Surprise means something which is not to be said to anyone."

I stomped my foot like a kid and started whining about how everyone knew the whereabouts but me. Later, I even tried persuading him by asking him about the theme of the place so that I could dress appropriately according to the venue, but he had planned that too.

"Babe, when have I ever let you wear something according to your taste?" After giving me a wicked smile, he continued, "Your dress is already waiting for you in your closet."