38

Is it love?!

As we stepped inside the cottage, the tears that I was trying to control so hard, finally started running down my cheeks. There was my baby, right in front of my eyes, sitting on a chair and tied with ropes. His cheeks were tear stained and his eyes started to get watery looking at me.

He tried to wiggle his way out of the ropes looking at me, but the ropes were tight. Tears started pouring out of his eyes and he kept on wiggling, my heart broke at the sight.

"Mwumma." He hiccuped and without thinking of any consequences, I ran towards him and started untying his ropes as quickly as I could. I had never been the one to think bad about someone, but this time, I really wished that he rot in jail.

"It's okay, baby, mumma is here. Don't cry, you are my strong champion, right?" He nodded his head slightly letting out another hiccup as I finally untied him and hugged him tightly.

"Mumma missed you so much." I whispered, looking in his eyes and kissing his cheeks.

"Shammy missed mwumma too."

"I am sorry baby, I am so, so sorry." I hugged him again as his small arms wrapped around my waist.

"If you're done hugging champ, give others a chance too." Matt spoke from behind me and I let out a small chuckle, before pulling away from Sam. He instantly ran towards Matt and he swirled him in the air.

"Uncle Mwattie!" He wrapped his tiny little hands around his neck and his legs around his stomach, like a small monkey.

"Guess where Uncle Mattie is going to take you after getting out from here?"

"Ice cweam?" Matt nodded his head and he clapped his hands, a huge smile instantly plastered on his face. That was my baby, always smiling on small, little things.

"Uncle Mwattie is the bwest!"

"I know." He said, cockily and I smiled at his cockiness.

Then Sam's eyes landed on Mr. Steele who had made his way besides me and he flared his arms in the air, signalling Mr. Steele to hold him. He, without wasting a second, held him closer to his body and kissed his nose.

"Daddy!" He said happily, wrapping his hands around his neck and Mr. Steele let out a laugh that was like magic to my ears.

"Looks like someone missed daddy." He frantically nodded his head with a huge grin on his face making Mr. Steele grin along with him as well.

We were all smiling and laughing, when my eyes landed on a red mark on his left cheek. I walked towards him and traced my fingers over the mark,

"Who did this baby?" I asked, my voice breaking at the end.

"A bad uncle s-slapped Sammy." A small tear escaped from his eye and I rubbed it away with my thumb.

"Mumma will scold that bad uncle, yeah?" He gave his head a slight nod, his eyes still watery, "No more crying now or Uncle Mattie won't take you for icecream." I whispered the last part in his ear like a secret and he rubbed his eyes with his tiny fingers and looked at me, pointing his index finger to his eyes,

"See? No tears." I smiled at his innocence and kissed his forehead when the smile on his face turned into fear. He gripped the collar of Mr. Steele's shirt tightly and hid his face in the crook of his neck. A frown appeared on our faces at the sudden change of his behaviour when we heard a voice, clearing everything for us.

"Aww, your sappiness makes my heart ache." There he stood near the door with two other men standing right behind him.

"Allerton." Mr. Steele spit out his name, curtly.