2: Conferred Marriage

(TL: If I can't tell the first and last name of a character, then all the Chinese characters' pinyin will be separate. Otherwise I'm going back to my lastname[space]firstname format. I think it will be easier for you guys to remember. Also Dong Ling -> Dongling.)

Prime Minister's official residence.

Within a study, a refined man was staring at the large pile of marriage candidates, looking like he didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It was the first time he had ever had such an expression. He looked hopefully towards a handsome man clothed in black who was sitting leisurely, but seeing the slight arch of his mouth that the man was trying to control with difficulty, Ren Fengyao, who was originally going to ask him something, sighed internally. It seemed like his normally cold yet close friend, his junior disciple, wouldn't help him. He then looked towards Mo Bai, his reading assistant*, who was clearly watching on with interest, waiting for a show and sighed internally once more. They were both looking for entertainment, both with no intention of helping him. When had he ever been such a failure in life?

*"A servant who serves his master and master's disciples when they read, and he has to be a minor" – Kanoi

The pile of candidates made him speechless. It seems that this time, Dongfang Chao* was serious. Whatever, just follow his wish for once! At least it was better than forcing the arrogant princess to him, bounding him in the royal family.

*Note that he's referring to the emperor by name = intimacy

Then he looked towards De Zi, who was waiting for his response. Ren Fengyao said helplessly, "Mo Bai!"

"Sir, I can't help you this time!" Mo Bai said mockingly.

"Who told you to help me? Ink!" Ren Fengyao retorted. He glared resentfully at Mo Bai with his terrifying, profound eyes.

Mo Bai shrinked back with fear, losing his mocking attitude. The young master seemed angry now; it was best not to provoke him. Although he was always lukewarm and seemed gentle normally, he was extremely terrifying when actually angered.

Ren Fengyao picked up a brush and without bothering to read any of the backgrounds, only wrote each name down onto slips of paper, then crumpled up each slip.

Leng Canxing watched his senior disciple* with interest and immediately understood what he was going to do. The hint of a smile in his usually indifferent eyes thickened, understanding that his senior disciple was now pushed to an impatient state. The emperor's plan had been clever, but senior disciple's plan was even more cunning. By choosing a wife randomly by drawing lots, betting a possible lifetime on mere slips of paper, he was going to communicate his dissatisfaction very clearly, how impressive!

*Senior disciple = they are both disciples of the same master and Ren Fengyao was a disciple before him and of higher rank, kind of like elder brother

De Zi watched Ren Fengyao's actions with amazement, staring blankly until he handed him a slip of paper without even looking. Only then did he come back to his senses. He said hesitantly, still shocked, "This...."

"Eunuch De*, it'll be her. You can go back and report her name now!"

*from this I infer his last name was De and the "little" was just a phrase of endearment.

"But if his highness asks?..."

"Just tell him the truth!" Ren Fengyao smiled faintly.

By using this way to protest, Chao would be able to understand clearly! Chao couldn't possibly confer his marriage so recklessly. After all, although they were a monarch and a subject, they were close friends.