3: Countermeasure

Ren Fengyao sat before his desk listening to Mo Bai report and said with disapproval, "In other words, the emperor is also very disatisfied with this 'Zi Yinye'?"

"Not just dissatisfied, he practically feels loathing. Concubine De and Concubine Shu, this Lady Zi's half sisters, create chaos in the palace as they compete. Right now, whenever he hears the surname Zi, he feels a headache. Originally, he had thrown this Lady Zi's name away, but when the eunuch was tidying up, he accidentally picked up her name and sent it, which led you to pull her name coincidentally."

"If he hadn't attempted to force me, how could that have happened?" Ren Fengyao said coldly.

"Also, young master, the emperor originally favored minister Wang's daughter, Lady Wang Wanrou. He circled her name specially and even put her name at the very top of the stack! Young master, did you not see?"

"At that time, he was so angry, he didn't even look, so how could he have seen a circle. He probably doesn't even remember any of the names." Nearby, Leng Canxing interrupted coldly.

Ren Fengyao glared angrily at Leng Canxing. "If he had waited to see the result, would this have happened?"

"Right, right! But the emperor was afraid of you, afraid you would convince him in the middle of the night to change his mind, so he hid away early on. Your plan was ruined!" Leng Canxing added oil to the fire.

"And he had instructed eunuch De to write an edict immediately without waiting for him to see the result in case you changed your mind. The emperor himself did not know who you had chosen until the decree was announced!" Mo Bai explained with amusement.

"Right! That's why at court, his expression had turned so unsightly, correct?" The voice that was neither cold nor warm made Mo Bai shrink back. He didn't dare to say another word.

"Isn't that good? He tried to force you and you accidentally retaliated, how hilarious!" Leng Canxing spoke without fear.

"The only one who benefitted is that Lady Zi who was unable to get married," Mo Bai murmured.

"Hmm?" Ren Fengyao didn't understand Mo Bai.

"Young master, I learned of new information!" Mo Bai said.

"Speak!"

"It pertains to the Zi clan's seventh lady. I heard that during her childhood, she was infected with a strange disease. Ever since then, she hid away. People who have seen her appearance have said that it is so unsightly, even ghosts would shun her."

"Rumors should not be believed!" Ren Fengyao said in an aloof manner.

"It's true, young master. Their descriptions are so vivid, it sounds like they've seen her personally. At first, I also did not believe it. With concubine De and concubine Shu being able to be selected as concubines, their appearances must be outstanding and their younger sister should not be too different, but when I inquired at the Zi clan, none of the servants had met their seventh lady. They only knew of her existence, but some didn't even know. She lives in seclusion in a small courtyard. Even his Lord has rarely met her. Her mother, Madam Zi, is very beautiful though."

"If you have not seen with your own eyes then do not believe it!" Ren Fengyao said, still unconcerned.

"Aiya, young master, I investigated repeatedly. It's true! I heard from the Zi clan's housekeeper that when she was young, she was an adorable, clever child, but after the illness... Even her personal servants said her appearance was ruined afterwards." 

"Enough, Mo Bai. A person's appearance does not determine who they are."    

"But, young master, you can use this as an excuse to make a request of the emperor, declining the marriage!"