10: The Zither

During the moment Zi Yinye stood up, Ren Fengyao sensed her suddenly become icy, but when she said the two words, "I'll play", the coldness instantly evaporated, as if it never existed. He sensed something was off.

Slowly approaching the zither, Zi Yinye gradually suppressed her ire with each step. Everyone has their bottom line and today, she had been almost incited to the point of fury by that woman, but at this moment, she could not afford to show it.

Sitting behind the zither with her head held low, Zi Yinye still portrayed herself in a docile, pitiful manner. Only, her eyes were frigid cold. They could only hear her say bashfully, "Yinye learned the zither during her childhood, but Yinye is untalented, unable to play well not matter what, so Yinye was scolded by her teacher a lot. Currently, Yinye doesn't know if everyone can bear listening. If Yinye makes any mistakes, please do not ridicule Yinye."    

With a wave of her lily white hands, the sound of the zither broke out. A wave of killing intent instantly pervaded the air.

Zi Yinye was actually playing《Broken Waves》?! This piece was originally intended for the lute, but was currently being played on a zither. Instead of weakening the imposing manner, it added a more desolate air. The zither rippled, sounding as if all the king's horses and all the king's men were engaging in close combat, the sound of battle cries, the sound of the clash of swords all flowing out of the zither, attacking the audience face on, unfolding a deathly story. The entire audience seemed to be amidst a bloody spectacle. The despair, cruel killings were so fearsome. The unnerved Princess Xie then discovered that Zi Yinye was staring at her, motionless. Her pair of lustrous eyes were full of cruelty and sneer, causing the princess to shy away.

Her fingers flying over the strings, Zi Yinye surveyed the people she had brought to the battlefield, colding smiling seeing each of their expressions. It wasn't that she didn't know how to play, but that no one was worthy of listening to her play. Her playing was also hypnotic. Unless they could break through the bewildering effects, no one would dare to listen, so she usually never played before other people. But she wasn't willing to be harassed any more.

The blood red sun shined on the earth that was dyed red. Splayed limbs scattered the ground. The gun smoke dissipated and the fighting stopped. A gust of wind wailed, as if recounting the helpless and merciless battle. Troops broken, men dead. There was nothing more despairing than death, nothing more rejoiceful than life.

The finale note resonated sorrowfully in the air. Zi Yinye swept her gaze over the dazed crowd, sneering disdainfully. Perhaps none of them had seen the true cruelties of war that she had seen. She had witnessed war with her own eyes, otherwise, she would not have agreed to help Hua Jianli reunite a country. War was cruel and most pitifully were the poor commoners who experienced the chaos of war firsthand. Therefore, Zhi nation had to be reunited. Only if it reunited would the chaos stop, the war stop. Thus, she had to leave the gorgeous world that did not suit her.

The debauched nobility only wasted money on extravagance. And men of high status never failed to lack the ability to resist the lure of beauty. Such were the rich. Abominable.
Suppressing the disgust in her eyes, Zi Yinye stood up and curtsied. "Yinye knows few pieces. Only this one she is most familiar with. Perhaps, perhaps..."

"To be able to play a piece intended for the lute on a zither and with such drive, Madam, your zither skill is unmatched," Ren Fengyao praised warmly. He was the first one to return to his senses.

With Ren Fengyao's words, the rest of the hall stirred. Ren Fengyao abruptly stood up from his seat. "Your majesty, the sky is not bright any more. Please let me** and my** be excused!"

Once he said this, Ren Fengyao went up to Zi Yinye and grabbed her hand gently. Without waiting for Dongfang Chao to respond, he gave a nod, then led Zi Yinye out, completely ignoring the looks and glances within the hall. Watching as Ren Fengyao disappeared at the door, Dongfang Chao smiled bitterly. Jing Xuan seemed to be angry now. Although his tone was calm, Dongfang Chao knew the more calm Ren Fengyao appeared, the more angry he was. And it was a given. No matter what, Zi Yinye was still his wife, but he had made her publically perform on the zither to entertain them. Anyone would feel humiliation. It seemed that the line had been crossed this time.