4: Wedding

Bright red candles were lit, a brocaded couch also the color red, the color of cheer*.

*Historically, red has always been seen as a lucky color in China and is common in weddings. This is NOT a communist thing. Fun fact: saying something is "red" in Chinese means it's popular.

Although they had an agreement with Ren Fengyao on what would happen after the marriage, Zi Yinye was still resentful she still had to be married. She never expected her marriage to happen under such circumstances. She had already lost count how many twists and turns she had to go through to reach the bridal room. She only vaguely remembered how large the event was. And of course, how could the wedding of Ren Fengyao, the young talent valued by the emperor, be ordinary. Smiling mockingly at herself, she sat straight, calmly sitting cross-legged on a bed, waiting for the groom to unveil her.

After a while, she could faintly hear the sound of guests playing a drinking game. The groom would probably be forced to drink until he was drunk. While she pondered over how she was going to deal with the groom if he was drunk, she warned herself not to be nervous and expose her secret.

Just as she was in deep thought, there was a peal of footsteps outside the door. Zi Yinye's heart sunk. The door was opened and one person entered. Was he drunk?

Although his steps were unsteady, Ren Fengyao's eyes were clear. Today, he had been poured quite a few cups of wine, but not enough for him to get drunk. Fortunately, Leng Canxing had helped block for him, otherwise he would definitely have become intoxicated. Many of his peers had come, but whether or not they were sincere or had malicious intentions, they all had one thought: watching entertainment. How many grooms did not get drunk on their wedding night? At this moment that Leng Canxing was holding them back, he had to use this time to speak to Lady Zi.

"Lady Zi, I presume your maids have already informed you?" Seeing Zi Yinye nod, he continued, "I have wronged you, however, at the present, this is the best I can do. In a few days, I will personally empty my home's 'Wind Pavilion' for you to live. You will stay there temporarily while I sleep in the study and not disturb you. Once the time comes, we will divorce. If you are not willing to live at the official minister residence, I have another house near the outskirts of the city. Three months later, you can move there, but during those three months, I apologize that you must coordinate with me for outsiders to see."

Ren Fengyao's voice was steady and powerful, his sincerity apparent. Zi Yinye couldn't help have have the urge to see how he looked like, but before she could reply, there was another string of footsteps outside the door, immediately followed by the door being flung open. A few people staggered in impetuously.

A flash of annoyance passed through Ren Fengyao's eyes. One of them said, "Minister Ren, why haven't you unveiled her yet? Are you afraid of others seeing her?" From the sound of his tone, it seemed like he was taking pleasure in Ren Fengyao's misfortune. In all likelihood, he had heard of the rumors and come to watch while also using the chance to ridicule Ren Fengyao!

"Gentlemen, the emperor has ordered that nobody can disturb minister Ren's bridal room," a clear voice interrupted.

"We're not causing a disturbance, we're only here to see the bride!" They jeered.

Ren Fengyao was fully aware of why they had come. If he did not unveil her, then none of them would leave. Ren Fengyao smiled coldly and walked forward slowly, then lifted off the red veil.

As the veil landed on the ground, the first thing they saw was a brilliant .

The bride drooped her head. A white veil covered her face. They could not see her appearance, nor the emotion in her eyes.