6: Imperial Banquet Pt. 2

Everybody assumed that Zi Yinye's marriage to Ren Fengyao was emperor Dongfang Chao's doing, but they failed to understand why. The emperor had already regarded Ren Fengyao very highly, but why would he confer an ugly woman to Ren Fengyao to marry? Had the tides changed and Ren Fengyao had lost favor? But it didn't seem so. Nobody understood what was going on.

Very people knew the inside story. Who would think that Zi Yinye was married to Ren Fengyao because he had simply drawn her name through luck! Perhaps it was the so-called preordained fate, but the two involved persons were unaware!

"What are you all discussing! Such a loud clamor!"

The women were shocked seeing the man in the * and hastily got up to kneel in greeting. Zi Yinye let out a breath. She could see from the corner of her eye the scholarly man who was wearing minister clothing standing next to the emperor's side. He was here to help her out?!

*Only the emperor wears the "dragon robe"

Dongfang Chao waved offhandedly, saying very casually, "Stand up!" then strode towards the smiling empress's direction.

Ren Fengyao followed Dongfang Chao in. Although men were not allowed to enter the harem chambers, Ren Fengyao was an exception. Zi Yinye got up as everybody else did and took a few steps back very naturally. A colorful figure quickly dashed over, flitting towards the refined man like a cute little bird and grabbed his arm, using a tender voice to say, "Big brother Ren!"

This was still the arrogant princess? Zi Yinye watched Dongfang Rongfei who had changed completely with amusement. That brat sure changed quickly. Zi Yinye secretly scanned the surroundings. Sure enough, the gazes of the two who had been staring at her were now on Dongfang Rongfei, full of envy and unwillingness.

This Ren Fengyao sure had demonic charm. But they were the emperor and his brother's women, not very wise choices!

Zi Yinye tilted her head and unwittingly met a sympathizing gaze. Zi Yinye did not know whose wife she was, but she was pitying her? She didn't need it though. Zi Yinye was amused. Tonight sure was lively. Everything she had not experienced for the last seventeen years had occurred tonight. Marriage truly was unfortunate, having to put on an act, how tiring!

Zi Yinye observed each person's expression with amusement. They all looked like they were cautiously facing a dangerous enemy, their previously arrogant gazes all gone. Every person has another person who is their weakness, as they say. The saying "accompanying one's sovereign can be like accompanying a tiger"* sure was true!

*The emperor seems to be their 'weakness' so to speak and it's dangerous to accompany the emperor just like it's dangerous to accompany a tiger

Zi Yinye was still deep in thought, so she didn't hear the few words Dongfang Chao had said, but she only suddenly sensed that strangely, everybody's gazes were on her, thus raised her head hurriedly only to unexpectedly hear Ren Fengyao. "Madam, it's time to return!"

Madam? Was Ren Fengyao referring to her? Ren Fengyao had already freed his arm that had been grabbed by Dongfang Rongfei, one hand outstretched towards her, indicating for her to grab his hand. Did he think she had been shocked silly?

Zi Yinye set her slender, fine small hand in Ren Fengyao's hand, acting somewhat timid as she left with Ren Fengyao and the emperor. Dongfang Rongfei humphed coldly, then stamped her foot and dashed out.

As everybody glanced each other in dismay, Dongfang Chao was oddly smiling, watching Zi Yinye with a profound gaze. Zi Yinye flusteredly looked down to avoid the emperor's gaze. She had to act to the bitter end. Currently, she was a pitiful creature, timidly drooping her head without a word was the most fitting action. The scholarly man's hand was very warm and steady. She had faith he would safely bring her out of the palace so she did not have to worry and make any unnecessary actions.