12: Farewell

True to her word, Zi Yinye never spoke of visiting Ren Fengyao, not even uttering the name "Ren Fengyao". The servants all gossiped in secret over this, mostly unpleasant comments. Chun Ri was angered but didn't dare to speak of it. Her lady's cold face already made the days hard to endure. At the same time, the meaningful glances and comments of the servants left her depressed and she could not help but lay blame on Ren Fengyao.

It was the eighth day since Ren Fengyao had fallen ill. After lunch, Zi Yinye switched her garments. Although it was still simple yet elegant, Chun Ri felt it a bit peculiar. Was her lady planning on going out? Her lady cared about utility and comfort the most and never changed clothes.

"My lady, are you* going somewhere?"

"To say farewell!" Zi Yinye appeared to be in a good mood, her tone also cheerful.

"Farewell?" Chun Ri didn't understand, staring blankly at Zi Yinye. Zi Yinye spoke. "This morning, the housekeeper came and informed me that the other courtyard is already prepared. I can move there in a few days."

"Ah? My lady, are you going to see his lord – no, Ren, uh, thatperson?"

Zi Yinye laughed at Chun Ri's cautious manner and reached out and pinched her cheek, smiling. "Yes, I'm going to see him."

"You're not angry at him any more?"

"Why would I be angry at him? It's not like he was the one who angered me!"

Curling her lip, Chun Ri muttered quietly, "He didn't anger you, but his woman did."

"What did you just say?" Seeing Zi Yinye's raised brow, Chun Ri broke into a grin. "Nothing. But my lady, his lordship is still unwell whereas you're about to leave. Is it proper?"

"How is it improper?" Zi Yinye said as she walked towards the door. "What's the point in staying here? It's better to avoid certain gazes. Once I move away, she can move in. She'll be satisfied, and I'll be satisfied. I don't wish for others to... Humph!"

Chun Ri had thought Zi Yinye had already cooled her temper, but it seems she still held a grudge. However, why did she sound like she was jealous? But although she thought this, Chun Ri did not dare to voice her thoughts. She followed after Zi Yinye closely. Only after a period of time did Chun Ri speak. "My lady, aren't you going the wrong way? This isn't the way to his lordship's bedroom."

"There's no mistake! I already consulted the housekeeper. Ren Fengyao has improved much over the past few days so he is now usually in the warming pavilion or the study to work. Humph! He had become so sick he fainted, but instead of seizing the chance to rest, all he does is work. Serves him right!" After a pause, she continued. "Today is a bit cold and snow is possible. He should be in the warming pavilion, so we are going there."

As Zi Yinye neared the warming pavilion, she heard a woman's laughter from the distance. She continued on, although her expression was a bit grave and her eyes somewhat gloomy. She hoped no one else would...

Ren Fengyao's warm voice leaked out, muffled. Chun Ri said, "My lady, are we going to knock on the door first?"

"For what? Would they do something shameful in the middle of the day?" Zi Yinye sneered. She did not want to be blocked at the door again. Rolling her eyes mockingly, she walked forward. The door half closed, Zi Yinye walked in without a second thought, but once she saw who were in the room, she froze. For a moment, she didn't know how to respond.

In the room, Ren Fengyao half sat, half laid on a brocaded couch, a meager blanket covering him. Sitting next to the couch in luxurious clothes was Dongfang Rongfei. Meanwhile, another figure sat next to the fire. It was the venerable emperor, Dongfang Chao.