53: Comings and Goings

Once Ye Yin returned to his residence, the sky was already dark. The moment he entered, he was greeted with the sight of Lanzhi sitting in the hall, her mouth pouting, eyes glaring. Ye Yin frowned, sighing inwardly. It seemed Lanzhi was going to lecture him again.

Just as he expected, the moment she saw him, Lanzhi humphed. "You're finally back?"

"Lanzhi, please don't use such an accusatory tone, it makes my hair stand on end."

Lanzhi brightened upon hearing the helplessness in his voice, However, she straightened her expression out immediately. "That's exactly why I talk like that. You didn't even tell us beforehand. Everyone had to wait so long for you all for no reason."

"I did not know it would take so much time, and you were taking your afternoon nap at the time. I didn't want to wake you up."

"Yeah right. Didn't want to wake me up? You mean you were afraid I would follow you. Geez, trying to sweet talk me." Lanzhi stood up. "Did you eat dinner? Huh? You drank?"

Ye Yin nodded. "Yes, I drank a little."

"Humph! You must have drank a lot, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to sneak in so discreetly." Her eyes flashing, she changed her expression, her voice all girly. "Husband, you... you drank wine with courtesans? Husband, you've been corrupted!"

"Lazhi!" Ye Yin didn't know whether to laugh or cry. "Please, you pull this stunt every day. Don't you know when to stop with your antics? I get goosebumps when you're like this."

Lanzhi leaned in and whispered into Ye Yin's ear, "If you know I'm just joking, you can just ignore me. Why do you care so much every time? I really wonder what it is that you're so afraid of." She then switched to a weeping expression. "Husband... did you... did you really go out drinking with courtesans?"

Seeing Lanzhi's eyes matching her sorrowful expression, Ye Yin shook his head. He couldn't stand it any more. "Enough. Every farce is worse than the last!"

"Husband, are you criticizing me?" Lanzhi's beautiful eyes were filled with tears. She looked like she would cry any moment now. She simply took two steps back and said bitterly, "Are you... going to break up with me? Am I not important to you any more?"

"Lanzhi!" Ye Yin frowned. "Lazhi, are you really going to continue this farce? You won't regret it?"

Lanzhi's expression changed back immediately. She pouted, "No fun! You ran off without a word, worrying us so much, but now... Why can't I just tease you for just a moment?"

Ye Yin shook his head helplessly. "It's not that you can't, but... Enough. It's my fault, I shouldn't have left for so long without telling you before hand. However, I did not drink with courtesans, I just visited the Fragrant Wisp restaurant. I met a man and we started talking about business, that's all. Are you satisfied with this explanation? Lanzhi, I'm really not used to a woman acting like a spoiled child, giving seductive looks, so can you please stop?"

In the past four years, Lanzhi maintained the image of a deeply attached, pampered wife. Every time, she would challenge him to the limit. Often, whenever Lanzhi acted cutesy and charming, Ye Yin would get goosebumps. For a woman to display affection knowing that he was a woman made him shiver.

Although he knew that Lanzhi was acting, teasing him, he still couldn't bear it. It seemed to be his weak point. He didn't know when Lanzhi had discovered it, but he really felt powerless whenever she teased him. Was it really that fun to tease him? Lanzhi never seemed to tire of it.

Actually, Ye Yin had on worried. He was afraid that as the farce continued, Lanzhi might really fall for him. He was also afraid of forgetting his own gender. He had married Lanzhi with no choice. He owed Lanzhi so much already, he did not want her to give up true happiness for him. He could not give her happiness, but he hoped Lanzhi would be happy in the future.