51: Time to Kill

The imperial examination was a system that had been used to single out the greatest talents of Ziyun. However, it was different from the one Ye Yin knew previously. Only those born from influential families could take the exam. This was why the poor had few opportunities. At best, a talented poor person could become an advisor for a nobleman.

Zhi nation once held imperial exams, but ever since the split between East and West Zhi, West Zhi never held a single one for the past twenty years. The court officials had attained their positions through bribery or through recommendations.

When Ye Yin proposed holding imperial examinations, Hua Jianli protested vehemently.

With an expression of disapproval, Hua Jianli shook his head repeatedly. "Little Qi, you know what dire straits West Zhi is currently in. Do you think of any of the large clans would participate? How can you choose people if no one takes part?"

"Who said I'm only choosing those from large clans? I'm willing to let anyone who wants to take the test to take it, whether they are rich, poor, or even a beggar. I'll even let those from other countries participate."

Hua Jianli's jaw dropped. "No matter who they are? Is.. is that alright?"

"Why not?" Ye Yin retorted. "Do you think there are no talented people among the poor? Did you forget about Shi Xia? He is a commoner."

Hua Jianli laughed bitterly. "Shi Xia is an exception. Most commoners cannot even read, they only know a few words at least, none who have had education. Alas! None of the noblemen will participate, and the commoners are mostly illiterate. How could you implement the imperial examination under these circumstances?"

Ye Yin smiled. "Who said that I need educated? And don't look down on commoners. There are quite a few talented individuals among them. They will look for any opportunity to distinguish themselves, so they will come. And I simply want capable people, not just people who can read."

Hua Jianli seemed unconvinced. Ye Yin sighed. "I don't plan on holding exams the old way. Talented people will compete for their posts!"

"What? Compete for posts*?" Hua Jianli had difficulty understanding Ye Yin's sudden neologism.

*Ye Yin uses a modern Chinese phrase

Ye Yin did not really feel like explaining. "Brother Jianli, just remember this: status is not important. What is important is capability! I don't need people who can write poems. Even if they cannot write a single word, so long as they are capable, I will allow them to be an official."

Now, Hua Jianli was thoroughly flabbergasted. An official that couldn't read? What was Little Qi planning?

"I will send you the concrete details later. You just need to carry out my orders. Even if I tried to explain, you wouldn't get it." He fell silent, starting to unconsciously draw circles on the table. After a while, he spoke. "As for those old chancellors... I have an idea. However, I still have a question for you."

"What question? Ask me!" He still did not understand what Ye Yin was planning, but did not dwell on it.

Ye Yin looked up, staring Hua Jianli straight in the eye. His lustrous eyes flashed resolutely. "Are you certain that that the current chancellors are all from small clans?"

Hua Jianli was almost intimidated by the complex, staunch look in Ye Yin's eyes. He composed himself, nodding. "Yes. After returning from Yue city, I investigated them all thoroughly. Aside from the people I have already eliminated, none of the remaining ones come from major clans. Is there a problem?"

Ye Yin's expression turned strange, as if constrained. He stared off into the distance for some time before finally speaking. "Brother Jianli, I may have to kill once more!"