38: Guilt

"Right, senior brother," Leng Canxing suddenly remembered. "Based off of our intel, Nanrong and Xili sent men to Zhi nation. Perhaps some of those unknown people have appeared near her. If they search for her origin, she will be in danger!"

"They won't be able to find anything. I just said I would give her the sky, so I won't let anyone know about her existence before Wutian. I have already ordered men to erase all traces of her previous life."

Leng Canxing gazed at Ren Fengyao in disbelief. "Senior brother, you... You did so much for her silently, but..." Leng Canxing smiled mischievously, "You must have done this mostly because you were afraid they would know her gender, correct?"

Ren Fengyao did not respond, his eyes flickering. He returned to his desk and sat down, picking up a sheet of paper. Leng Canxing scooched over. "Senior brother, she really is not like a girl. This doesn't seem to be written by a girl at all. Her actions are said to be very manly as well. Anyone who didn't know would never guess she is a girl! Senior brother, I had wondered why you had been so calm when so many outstanding men appeared at her side. You already were on your guard it seems! If they do not know her gender, they will naturally not fall for her!"

Ren Fengyao humphed. "Who knows? I didn't say that!"

Leng Canxing laughed. "Senior brother, don't underestimate. Right now, the only people who know her identity are Du Luo, Hua Jianli, and that king, Wen Yuanbo. Out of these three, Du Luo was your biggest threat, because it was very likely he is that 'young master Du' sister in law mentioned, which is why you investigated him. That day, when you asked him if he knew of the agreement between you and sister in law, you were feeling him out. His baffled response showed that sister in law and him merely had a platonic relationship. That was why you made the deal with Du Luo. Hua Jianli is the one who has known sister in law the longest, but sister in law has never harbored feelings for him for such a long period of time, meaning the probability of her falling for him in the future is very little. That leaves Wen Yuanbo. He is a very important, busy man, so he has no time to think of love. Once he has time, however, you will..."

"Canxing, are you bored?" Ren Fengyao raised a brow, asking Leng Canxing this question with a bright smile.

Canxing immediately shut up. But then he smiled mischievously again. "Senior brother, I'm just praising you. As expected of the prime minister of Dongling, not overlooking anything!" Hopefully you did not overlook anything, or else...

Emotions are never absolute. They are the most out of our control, what hurts us the most.

Ren Fengyao seemed to be smiling yet not smiling as he looked at Leng Canxing. "Canxing, it seems you really are bored, so bored that you are trying to guess my thoughts."

"No, no, senior brother, I am just saying nonsense, definitely not your true thoughts." Seeing Ren Fengyao's smile deepen, Leng Canxing hurriedly sat more upright, then changed the subject. "Oh right, senior brother, West Zhi will fall into her grasp soon. Once East and West Zhi unify, won't all the other countries... What will you do, senior brother? The emperor will order you to send troops..."

Ren Fengyao cast a sideways glance. His smile disappeared. "Who said Zhi nation will reunite immediately? Do you think she is stupid? If she didn't know what would happen after the unification, she wouldn't have secretly infiltrated Wutian. In truth, the real reason why I am hiding her traces is so that others will not find out the connection between her and Wen Yuanbo."

Leng Canxing stared at Ren Fengyao, thinking to himself, senior brother is doing more than he needs to. If her connection to Wen Yuanbo was exposed, wouldn't everything she has done go to naught? She would naturally return to senior brother's side.