9: Dinner Party

Surveying over the luxurious and ornate dress she had on, Zi Yinye said with a little unease, "This dress is too ostentatious and feels uncomfortable. Why don't I change into another one?"

"No, it's very pretty. Violet* suits you very well." Xie Zhiqiu smiled as a maid dressed Zi Yinye.

*Zi = violet and only aristocrats were allowed to wear purple in the past

"But..." Zi Yinye muttered, "Isn't this too much for the dinner party? It's your sister's birthday, she's the one to shine today."

Xie Zhiqiu slowly walked into the room. He picked up the phoenix pin Zi Yinye had set on the table and stuck it back in her hair, smiling gently as he said, "Don't have any qualms about others. Girls should cherish themselves. Let's go, I'll lead you to the dinner party."

With no alternative, she allowed Xie Zhiqiu to lead her away. She had a few second thoughts. How come this Xie Zhiqiu was unaware of avoiding arousing suspicious? Fortunately she was still someone else's wife!

"Does brother Ren treat you well?"

Zi Yinye paused for a moment, sensing Xie Zhiqiu was a bit on edge. She frowned slightly. "Not bad!"

"Really?"

Xie Zhiqiu's suddenly swiveled his head back. His profound eyes locked with hers, catching her off guard, and seemed to see through her inner heart. She glanced away a little desperately and said, "Between me and my husband*, actually..."

"I understand!" Xie Zhiqiu broke her off, then continued to advance quietly. Zi Yinye blinked, unable to make heads or tails of it. She didn't understand the joy in his voice, but she did not ask. The young man was a bit queer!

Entering the hall, Zi Yinye attracted attention as she had expected, but she was shocked to discover that her husband, the emperor, and Princess Rongfei were there. Sensing his inner ire when catching his eyes, she drooped her head immediately. What had happened? Why did she feel the mood in the hall was strange?

"My lady, you've finally appeared."

Just as she heard Chun Ri's tearful voice, another woman's piercing voice said loudly, "Didn't I already say she was fine? Isn't she perfectly fine? Was there really a need for minister Ren to forcefully enter and ask for her as if I was going to harm her?"

Ren Fengyao's eyes flickered. "Madam, are you alright?"

  Zi Yinye nodded. "I'm fine."

"Madam, where have you been all this time? Chun Ri thought you had disappeared, making all of the servants look for you." Ren Fengyao's tone carried faint censure, but it was not malicious. With her head drooped, she failed to see the worry in his eyes. Head lowered meekly without speaking, Zi Yinye seemed so weak, it was as if she would fall over if wind blew, her cowardly appearance arousing pity. Sitting next to princess Xie, only prince Dongfang Xi's calm and cold eyes flickered subtly as he pondered.

"Brother Ren, please don't blame Lady Qi, she was just lost a moment ago." Xie Zhiqiu walked over to Ren Fengyao with familiarity as he explained.

"Enough, everybody sit!" Dongfang Chao was evidently a little impatient.

Supported by the arm by Chun Ri, she was seated next to Ren Fengyao. Glancing at the man in the dragon robe, Zi Yinye was bemused. It was simply Princess Xie's birthday banquet, but the emperor himself had come. She had thought her clothes would have drawn too much attention and resentment, but unexpectedly, the one to draw away the spotlight was not her.

The originally lively banquet had become heavy due to the emperor's presence. Dishes were brought out one by one and Zi Yinye suddenly realized a large problem. If she wanted to eat, she had to take off the veil!