5: Imperial Banquet Pt. 1

A simple yet elegant carriage slowly mde its way to the imperial city. Sitting inside the carriage were Ren Fengyao and Zi Yinye. Zi Yinye had not attempted to dress elaborately, still wearing her usual simple and elegant white dress, her long hair tied without any ornaments except only a rather refined phoenix hairpin, and this had been forced on by Chun Ri! Ren Fengyao made no comments about how she had dressed and only ordered someone to fetch an arctic fox cloak for her to wear because the winter was extremely chilly.

Inside the palace, the numerous officials were for the most part present. Once Ren Fengyao entered the entrance, two eunuchs came to lead the way. Ren Fengyao was already very familiar with the palace, but this was the first time Zi Yinye had visited the palace. The officials’ family members were separated from the officials and had to go to the inner palace with the imperial consort. Ren Fengyao watched as Zi Yinye followed an eunuch into the palace, a little worried. He said with a low voice, “Be careful!”

Zi Yinye did not make a sound. She only nodded and followed the eunuch to the harem chambers. Watching as her figure disappeared into the distance, Ren Fengyao suddenly felt the woman was not as weak as he had thought, but exactly what feeling she gave off, he could not say.

Zi Yinye’s arrival at the harem chambers did not cause any disturbance because she was currently just a nameless woman. Compared to the elaborately decorated married women with pearls and jewelery, Zi Yinye was unremarkable. She quietly sat in a corner and listened to women discuss their daily lives, bored senseless, but at the same time, she couldn’t leave.

“Her highness has arrived!” A eunuch announced, his voice long and drawn out. The room fell silent. One after the other, they rose to bow. Zi Yinye also bowed, but her lustrous eyes secretly sneaked a glance at the empress* and her entourage.

*it’s really rude to do this, she could get punished if caught

The woman leading donned an apricot yellow imperial dress, her entire body emitting natural grandeur. She must be the empress and the beautiful women behind her must be the emperor’s concubines! And the two in crimson dresses with haughty expressions were no other than her elder sisters. Compared to the empress’s natural grace and the numerous other concubine’s bearings, these two sisters of her seemed much more tasteless. Zi Yinye lowered her eyes, an amused glint in her eyes. No wonder the emperor had disliked the Zi clan! Although they were very beautiful, their personalities were very lacking, almost intolerable!

The imperial banquet continued with a harmonious atmosphere, but Zi Yinye sensed it wasn’t so. It was as if everyone had on a mask, cautiously maintaining a gentle appearance, fearing that if there was even a slight mistake, they would bring a disaster to their husband.

After Zi Yinye finally finished scanning the seemingly relaxed yet actually tensed dinner with the indifferent eye of an outsider, she had finished eating. With a deep sigh, Zi Yinye motioned towards a maid to exchange her plate for tea and refreshments. She couldn’t help but sigh again in her heart. It seemed she still had to stay for a while. If the men’s side did not finish, then she could not leave.

She directed her gaze to the dark trees and distant mountain outside, listening to idle gossip subconsciously. She did not want to attract attention, so she had deliberately sat far away, but she could hear them word for word. It was not time for her to show her true abilities yet, so she had to conceal herself. But suddenly, she felt an intense gaze boring a hole into her back. She turned to look and found the owner of the burning gaze immediately. Princess Ping?! Why was she using such a gaze to look at her?