7: Invitation

The carriage stopped at the entrance of the prince's residence and the servants guided them in. Zi Yinye entered the large courtyard with her head low and her gaze withdrawn.

It was already deep in the heart of winter, but all the flowers in the prince's residence were in full bloom. Although some were that flourished in winter, there were flowers in the veranda that were blooming inconsistent with the current season. They must have been brought out of a greenhouse, but facing the onslaught of the bitter cold, the would probably die before half the day passed. For his beloved wife's birthday, the prince had spent quite a bit of effort. Did he know his beloved wife had another man in her heart?

Zi Yinye arrived at a spacious courtyard under the servants' guidance. A stage had been built and there was currently someone onstage singing, quite a few chairs and tables arranged before it with many high class women watching and chatting, but watching outside in the cold winter day was...

Inviting theatrical troupes to perform was a common hobby of the wealthy. She was not unfamiliar with theater as her father and his two mistresses often invited them to their home to perform. Although she had not ever been physically witnessed them, she often heard the awful sounds of opera from her four servant girls imitating them, so she could be considered familiar and could even sing a piece herself! So without even looking onstage, Zi Yinye could tell what piece they were performing just from listening. Weren't these people supposed to be "high class"? How boring!

When princess Xie saw Zi Yinye arrive, she did not get up and only smiled at Zi Yinye, then motioned for the servants to seat Zi Yinye. Finally, she switched her attention back to the performance, engrossed. She looked as if even if the heavens collapsed, watching the performance was more important. Zi Yinye was unconcerned with the princess's fake smile. She had known long beforehand that the princess was going to make trouble for her and this was just the beginning!

Zi Yinye had been seated farthest away. With a quick scan, she saw that there was a brazier in front of all other seats and each woman had a hand warmer. Only she seemed to have been "forgotten" without any source of heat. Or was this princess Xie's "special treatment"?

She smirked faintly. What a lackluster way of doing things. Was there such a need to do this before so many people? Did she not fear of gossip! But it seemed nobody noticed nor pitied her. Zi Yinye gave a meaningful look to Chun Ri, who was having difficulty hiding her anger, then sat up straight. It would not be easy to freeze her! Princess Xie did not understand her at all. How could she be so naive as to think that such a cheap trick could hurt her?

One hour, two hours, the time passed slowly. The performers switched to different plays one by one, but nobody called for her. Not only did she have no brazier, not even a cup of warm tea was sent. Really, banquets were to be avoided.

"Miss, your entire body is frozen!" Finally, Chun Ri could not hold back any more, her heart full of discontent. Her voice was not loud nor soft, but all of the people in the courtyard could hear it.

"Aiya, what's wrong with those wretched servants, why hasn't anyone lit Madam Ren's brazier or given her warm tea yet!" Princess Xie berated the servants and got up, walking to Zi Yinye.

She was secretly grumbling how meddlesome Chun Ri was, but seeing princess Xie walk over, Zi Yinye got up timidly. Although princess Xie had an apologetic smile, the fake smile made Zi Yinye want to puke.

"Madam Ren, you haven't been frozen badly, right? Just look at me, I completely forgot to take care of my guests since I was so absorbed in the theatrical performance. These wretched servants, they've been too pampered by the prince, completely improper."

She raised her head swiftly, secretly gave a calculated glance at princess Xie, then immediately lowered her head. "Yinye is unimportant. Thank you, your highness, for your care."