13: Nursing

It had only been five or six days since they had moved to the other courtyard in the outskirts of the capital, but Zi Yinye had already felt how much more carefree and satisfying the days were. Although she had married Ren Fengyao for only little more than two months, she had felt the days crawl by at a snail's pace. Now, she didn't need to wear a mask and had room to breath.

The courtyard was northwest of the capital, built near a mountain. It was only an hour away from Minjing and was in a secluded area, a few different species of trees planted at the front. Etched powerfully on a sign above the courtyard was "Lifeng*", presumably carved in by Ren Fengyao himself.

*means something like "free/independent style/tastes/wind" but in a much more profound way.
Lifeng courtyard was somewhat small. The difference between it and Ren Fengyao's minister residence at Minjing was the difference between the sky and earth. The minister residence was so large, traversing the entirety of it required half a day, whereas Lifeng was comprised of only two lateral courts, one east, one west. Although she did not know if Lifeng courtyard was purchased by Ren Fengyao himself or bestowed to him by the emperor, Zi Yinye couldn't help but admire his tastes. Lifeng courtyard's elaborate arrangements were admirable. The courtyard's interior was not particularly complicated with a long corridor, towers and pavilions, but the exquisite garden with lush bamboo as well as the varying decorations in each room exhibited refinement.

But only after a few days, her free and happy days were ruined by Ren Fengyao again. Was the heavens purposefully making her life difficult? Why did he also move?
Chun Ri watched on gloomily. Her lady had not spoken for nearly an entire afternoon. She said timidly, "My lady, there is no point in continuing to be angry. His lordship has already moved in, and there is no way you can force him out."
Zi Yinye humphed coldly.

Chun Ri continued, "My lady, truthfully, his lordship is a very good man. He has never tried to make things difficult for us. Although he moved in, he is recuperating in the western lateral court, whereas you are in the east, so in any case, you two will not meet. If it's too much, just pretend he doesn't exist."

"Enough. How can I pretend that such an important figure doesn't exist?" Zi Yinye said hatefully. "He's as annoying as a ghost unwilling to give up living. What's he here for when he was recuperating perfectly well in the minister residence! After only a few days of happiness... humph!"

"There's no alternative! Who could control his lordship from fainting at court! The emperor was so shocked, he ordered no one to disturb his lordship's recuperation and would not allow his lordship to work at all before recovering. But, my lady, as you also know, the minister's residence is not a place fit for recovering. Thus, his lordship moved here."

"Sucks for him!" Zi Yinye's expression brightened, her anger visibly gone. She was smiling yet not smiling as she said, "Little Chun Ri, you seem to be continuously speaking on behalf of Ren Fengyao! In just two months, your heart has been captured?"

Chun Ri's expression instantly darkened upon Zi Yinye's teasing. "My lady, you... I..."

Seeing Chun Ri on the verge of tears, her eyes watery, Zi Yinye recognized that Chun Ri was genuinely angered and got up hurriedly to placate her. "Aiya, Chun Ri, you're angry? I was just teasing you!"
"My lady, Chun Ri has followed you ever since we were young. Is my lady completely unaware of Chun Ri's feelings?" Zi Yinye could not see Chun Ri's expression as her head was lowered. She frantically stood up and pulled Chun Ri's arm. "I know, I know. How could I not know? Your every move is for my behalf. Sorry, Chun Ri. I was really just teasing you just now, please stop being angry."
"My lady, don't make that kind of joke ever again. Chun Ri can't stand it." She raised her head. "If my lady was safe and happy forever, Chun Ri would be happy."