Chapter 21 - I will do it

~Lucy's POV~

I sat in de class, day dreaming about Natsu. I think I'm beginning to get a crush on him. I sighed after I imagined him taking me to a picnic.

"Miss Heart! Pay attention!" the teacher shouted. I took a look around and began to rub my head embarrassed. "Sorry sir, it won't happen again," I said.

The whole class giggled or laughed at me, I can't help but sink my head low. I made good friends, so I let my guard down. It feels the same when I was younger. Everybody laughed at me.

I heard someone scowl. I looked at my right and Natsu looked pissed. "You dare to laugh at Lucy while I'm right here and her best friend?" Natsu said.

Immediately the whole class went silent. I guess Natsu really is the 'king' of the school. I smiled at him. "Thanks, Natsu," I said.

He turned to me and his pissed-off face turned into a lovely grin. His lovely grin.

Suddenly the principle walked the class in. "Can I speak with Mr. Dragneel and Ms. Heart?" he said.

I looked confused at Natsu and he looked surprised. His eyebrows shot up. We followed him to his office.

He walked a little before us.

"What do you think this is about?" I whispered quietly.

He shrugged his shoulder. "I behaved, so it isn't that."

I snorted. "Are you always breaking the rules?" Though I couldn't hide my little distaste. I don't hate rule breakers, they make it fun. But not too much.

He silently pushed me to the wall, his eyes daring me with a smirk attached to his face. "For you I'd be willing to follow all your rules," he said suggestively.

I leaned in close, pulling my chin up. "Rule number one..." I trailed off, a teasing grin on my face.

He waited, allowing me to go on.

I snatched my hands free and pushed him away. "...don't touch me."

He looked surprised, shaking his head.

"Ouch," he muttered under his breath.

"Are you guys coming?" Makarov asked.

We followed him into his office. He closed the door while we were setting down.

"Why are we here, gramps?" Natsu said, his face serious.

"First thing first. What happened yesterday with you and Sting?" he asked.

Natsu explained the whole thing. He nodded, writing it down.

"This is the fourth time your broke into a fight this year," he said disappointedly.

"Fourth?" I interrupted, afterwards thinking how rude that was.

"Old habits," Natsu said, shrugging pathetically. "Could have been worse."

Makarov's eyebrows shot up, noticing the 'old'.

"Finally let go, huh?"

"Trying," Natsu replied, his posture tense. He definitely doesn't want to talk about it.

"Well, Makarov...why are we here?" I asked.

"Right, the school council organized an event. It's about romance, so every school in Fiore has to send the two loveliest couple and they are going to participate. So to make it simple, I choose you two," he said.

I choked on my own saliva and checked my ear if I had heard it right. "But Makarov, we aren't a couple." I said. My mood afterwards going down, after exclaiming we aren't a couple.

My heart was beating so loudly.

Fuck, I want to be called his girlfriend.

Natsu nodded, agreeing. That only brought me in a moodier mood.

"Plus, I don't want to take part of some event," Natsu said, bored, but I swear to my life I saw Natsu blushing.

"The winner gets 100.000 jewels for the school and food for a whole month," Makarov said.

Natsu's ears perked up. "I will gladly do it, gramps," he said.

You kidding me? Are people these days that easy to bribe?

I facepalmed. Makarov knows him too well. Natsu looked at me waiting for my answer. I saw something in his eyes, was it hope? I sighed defeated. "I will participate too," I said and Natsu hugged me.

"Thanks Luce, I would stop if you didn't participate," Natsu said, making my heart swell.

I heard someone fake coughing. We looked at Makarov, "Are you two sure you aren't a couple?" he asked. We nodded fast and he laughed.

"Could have fooled me. You are dismissed," and we went away.

~Natsu's POV~

I was so excited about the event, I want to do it so badly with Luce. We would get more information later. Tomorrow is the day I'm going to ask Lucy. School was over so I went to my home fast. I came home with a red face.

My mum came to me. "Honey, why are you blushing?" she asked me. Why do mothers have to know everything?

"Nothing, mum, my girlfriend looked beautiful today," I said, blushing. And even if she isn't my girlfriend, she still looked beautiful as hell.

My mother giggled from nowhere and looked me straight in the eyes.

"Natsu, don't lie about having a girlfriend. I knew since the beginning she wasn't your girlfriend," she stated.

My jaw dropped to the ground, she knew it all the time? I thought I was the one fooling her, turned out she was the one fooling me.

Damn, mothers and their instincts.

"H-how did you know?" I asked and she rolled her eyes.

"I'm your mother," and on that answer I rolled my eyes.

"That was not the answer I wanted to hear."

"Alright, I just had the feeling and my feelings are never wrong."

I nodded. That was true. One time when she had a feeling I would play with Zeref in the back yard and an accident would happen. Turns out a thick branch fell on the spot I used to stand at. If it weren't for her pulling me away, I'd have bruises.

"But I can see you want her as your real girlfriend."

"Can't help it, she is just perfect," and my mother had heart in her eyes, just like Mira.

Argh. Shouldn't mothers be just like fathers? Overprotective?

I woke up and felt excited. I went straight to a shop that sells flowers after lunch. "Hello sir, can I get a bouquet with roses?" I asked politely and he nodded. I waited patiently till he came and I bought it.

I went to Lucy's house. I knocked on her door and she opened it. She saw me and smiled sweetly.

"Hey Natsu. What brings you here?"

_____________________