'And I smiled at him as if I'd never shed a tear for him'

Tom sighed looking for what seemed like the millionth time at the picture Mike posted. So Mike was in town. Tom really liked Mike. In fact, they had become pretty good friends. Tom had hung out with him numerous times without Laney. And that was one of the reasons why he felt the need to call and apologize to Mike after the breakup. Tom couldn't even bring himself to pick up the phone and called Laney. Well that's partly true. He had pulled her name up in his phone over a dozen times but could never pull the trigger and actually call her. What would he say? Sorry I left you with no explanation? Tom wasn't a man of few words. When he was filming Kong Skull Island and Laney was filming Wind River they were apart for months and months. Tom had hand wrote her love letters mailing them to her every week they were apart. Quoting Shakespeare, declaring his love and telling her how deeply he missed her. There were nights he honestly thought he'd go crazy without her touch, or to hear her laugh. The 2 am phone calls, her voice husky and breathless. Shoving his phone down Tom groaned. He couldn't think about that now. Avoiding her for the past 4 months he had been in this little bubble. He pretended that he was fine and that she was too. She would get over him and in time he would be able to let go of her. But it wasn't working. Sitting in his trailer on set he would give anything to be able to go up to her and claim her as his own once again. A possessive kiss on her neck, wrapping his arms around her waist holding her as close as humanly possible. He felt himself slipping back down into the rabbit hole of all things Laney and knew it's where he'd stay for the rest of the evening if he wasn't careful. His phone buzzed on the couch next to him, grateful for the distraction he grabbed it tilting his head from side to side to crack his neck, he read the incoming text. It was a group text from Scarlett, every number was a contact already in his phone, including Laney.

Scarlett

Hey all! We're about 2 weeks past due but I want to do a dinner for Renner's bday. He's not on this group text so just let me know if y'all can make it or not Sunday night. It's as always, a surprise. Reservations are for 7 at Bones under Nat. 😉

Laney squealed a little as she read her phone. Renner's birthday! She had almost forgot. The cast had an ongoing birthday dinner tradition. Whosever birthday was last then planned the outing for the next birthday. Scarlett's had been last and although not everyone had been together for hers (Laney included as she was still in hiding during Scarlett's birthday in November) enough of the cast and their spouses or significant others had been able to celebrate. The birthday's that were missed, when no one could get together due to location and schedules, were always celebrated during filming at some point. Seconds later another text from Scarlett came through on Laney's phone this time Laney was the only recipient.

Scarlett

Hey love. Can you get Renner to the restaurant Sunday? He'll probably figure it out but it wouldn't be too weird for you to ask him to dinner, right?

Laney

Of course! I'll come up with some kind of story. Operation get Renner to dinner is a go. 😉

Chris shuffled his feet glancing at his watch. He had caught a car with Scarlett to arrive at Bones Sunday night for Jeremy's surprise birthday dinner. She had had ask Chris to tag along with her as she had to stop and pick the cake up on the way and she would need help between that and what must have been the 50 or more balloons she was bringing. Anything to cause a scene and embarrass a cast mate and friend. He knew that Laney was scheduled to bring Jeremy, so she obviously hadn't arrived yet. Slowly different members of the cast and some crew trickled in, Scarlett escorted them all back to the private dining room. Chris was on door duty to meet whoever arrived next and wait for Renner and Laney. They were about 10 minutes late but that didn't surprise Chris. Laney was habitually late. Pulling his phone out of his pocket he searched for Laney's name to send a quick text.

"Am I late?" Tom Hiddleston's voice interrupted Chris before he could even form the text.

"Hey man!" Chris stretched his arm out to shake Tom's hand. "Nah. Laney and Renner aren't even here yet."

Tom shrugged with a laugh. "Why am I not surprised. That's Laney for you."

Chris nodded in agreement.

"Evans and Tom! Weird choice for dinner dates Delaney Rae." Jeremy's voice boomed. Tom and Chris both turned as Laney and Jeremy entered the restaurant. Chris couldn't contain the insta-grin that formed on his face as Laney's bright smile practically lit up the entire foyer. Chris heard Tom clear his throat and his eyes shifted between him and Laney watching the silent interaction they seemed to be having. Laney's smile changed from happy to unsure. Her green eyes seemed to cloud for a moment, but it was instantly replaced by the huge smile.

"What a surprise." Laney played dumb her smile giving her away.

"Alright alright where's Scarlett? I know she's behind this."

"Did someone say my name?" Scarlett walked up with perfect timing.

Jeremy turned to Laney "I should have known something was up when you asked me to dinner. A fancy dinner at that. Give this girl an Oscar. Although I did think it might be some kind of intervention when I saw these 2."

Scarlett laughed. "No, no intervention for you Renner."

"Oh I didn't mean for me." He pointed at himself. "I meant for her." He turned his finger towards Laney.

"Choose your next words wisely." Laney warned but gave him a teasing smile.

"I thought this was about to be the most awkward dinner in my existence."

"Let's go birthday boy." Scarlett rolled her eyes and pulled Jeremy along with her leaving Laney, Chris and Tom to follow behind.

"After you." Tom forever the gentleman stepped back offering his hand forward for Laney to pass him, extending the same to Chris who followed behind Laney.

Walking into the private dining area Laney's eyes scoured the table looking for Holland. She had told him to save her a seat next to him. Her eyes landed on him seated in between Downey, whose wife was with him, and Sebastian Stan, with no empty seat for Laney. By the time Laney, Chris and Tom walked in the only seats left were together on the end. Making her way down to the empty chairs she passed Holland and discreetly slapped him upside the back of his head.

"Ouch!" Tom jumped and rubbed the back of his head. "What the hell?" He turned making eye contact with Laney, his disgruntled look quickly turning to an apologetic one.

"Sorry." He mouthed with a shrug.

Tom slid into the seat next to Laney and Chris took the seat opposite of them next to Mackie.

This should be interesting Laney thought to herself.

"One large glass of wine please." She quickly placed her drink order. She couldn't start drinking fast enough