'We looked at each other a little too long to be just friends'

Pulling the door shut tightly behind her, Laney briefly leaned back against it, her heart thumping so loudly she was sure Tom could hear it on the other side.

She felt an array of emotions, proud of herself for being strong and walking away, on the verge of tears as the hurt felt as fresh as the day he left, and oh yeah can't forget, widely turned on. She closed her eyes bringing her fingers to her lips. He had always had that effect on her. They had been dating barely 2 weeks before they had slept together for the first time. He was very...tempting, and handsome as hell. She had fallen head over heels for him very quickly.

Her phone buzzing in her purse broke her from the trance she was in. Stepping away from the door she pulled her phone out thinking it was probably Tommy letting her know he was at his hotel but no, it was Chris. And he was calling her.

She swallowed and swiped right to answer as she walked quickly down the hallway away from Tom's room.

"Hey!" She answered praying her voice didn't sound as shaky as it felt.

"Hey!" He echoed cheerfully, bringing a smile to her face.

"I was just about to call you." She hit the elevator button to go down.

"Sure you were. Seems that's always your story." He teased.

"I know, I know." She laughed stepping onto the elevator. "Tommy spent the night. We were ...hungover." She cleared her throat, "We finally got up about an hour ago and just finished dinner."

"Jealous of Spider-man." He muttered but she could hear the smile in his voice and she laughed.

"No, don't be." She said softly, her face felt flushed. She wasn't sure if it were due to Chris just admitting he was jealous or the thought of what could have just happened with Tom.

"So you were pretty hungover?" He asked.

"Yeah." Laney put her hand to her head, thankful that dinner had seemed to knock the rest of her hangover out. "No more drinking that much while in Atlanta." She continued.

Chris laughed, "I was worried about you getting home."

"Well thank you. And I'm horrible I should have called you sooner. I actually didn't turn my phone on till after 6:00."

"How much did you drink last night?" His tone still playful.

"Too much. Way too much." She stepped off the elevator. "Are you done working?"

"Yeah I just got back to my hotel. About to order some room service I guess."

"You want some company?" She offered not knowing exactly what she was doing. All she knew was she had to get some distance and distraction from Tom. Chris was good for both.

"If that company is you, bring it."

"OK," She smiled. "I'm on my way."

A few minutes later she was walking up the path to Chris's hotel suite.

He answered the door in an old Red Sox t-shirt and a pair of gray sweats. Her mind flashed to Tom in his t-shirt and sweats but she pushed it away. "Hi." She smiled.

"Hi." He stepped back so she could come in. "That was fast. Where did you eat?"

"I was already in the car it was only a few turns." She lied.

"I'd offer you something to eat but since you just ate...."

She laughed, "I'm good, thank you though." She sat down on the couch pulling her jacket off. "Oh you're watching Black Mirror." She leaned forward looking at the paused television.

"Just started it." He shrugged. "You've seen it?"

"It's good." She nodded, "You'll enjoy it. I've binged watch most of it." She admitted.

"We can watch something else." He offered.

"No, this is good." She slipped her shoes off and tucked her feet underneath her.

Chris grabbed 2 beers, cracking them open before handing Laney one, "You know when I said we should do this just me and you, I meant go out somewhere." He smiled at her teasingly.

"That sounds like a date." She accepted the beer from his hand, his fingers brushing against hers.

"Yeah, it does." He plopped down on the couch next to her flashing her a toothy grin. "Would that be ok with you....to go on a date....with me?" His voice turned more serious.

"I would like that..." she trailed off softly.

"But...." He raised an eyebrow.

Laney chewed her lip carefully debating on her response. "Maybe we should wait until after filming in Atlanta wraps. It feels...smothered here."

"I know you told me not to mention him, but I have to. If you think it's weird because of Tom I completely understand."

"Not weird." She shifted on the couch so she was facing him. "Unfinished."

Chris raised both eyebrows.

"That didn't come out right. I told you before I felt like I didn't get closure. I think I need that closure before I start anything new."

Chris nodded. "Does he want to give you that closure?"

Laney's mind flashed back to half an hour before when Tom had held her in his arms.

"I don't know." She said truthfully. "But I like this." She motioned between the 2 of them. "And I like you." She added shyly looking away.

"I like you to." Chris pushed himself up turning slightly so he was mirroring her on the couch. "A lot." Their hands were only inches apart on the couch and Chris wiggled his fingers a little interlocking them with hers.

Laney's phone buzzing made them jump apart. Laughing Laney grabbed her phone.

"Just Holland." She rolled her eyes still smiling. "Letting me know he arrived safe and sound in his hotel."

"Damn Spidey again. Tell him to cut the spider senses off." Chris winked.

"Will do." She typed in a quick response leaving out the part that she hadn't made it to her hotel yet.

"So....Black Mirror?" Chris grabbed the remote.

Laney nodded, tossing her phone back in her purse she lifted the beer to her lips with a grin.