'Understand your own heart before you handle another'

After spending over a week in Napa, Laney finally returned to Los Angeles. Mainly because Zoey was arriving days after she returned. While she was in Napa she had kept conversations between both herself and Chris and herself and Tom simple and brief. Taking the time in Napa to consider what she really wanted. When she walked into her apartment in Los Angeles she knew what she wanted and what she needed to do.

She tried to discreetly arrive back in Los Angeles buying as much time as possible before she spoke with Tom. She knew how easily she fell under his spell. She wanted to be strong enough to tell him exactly what she needed to. Thankfully he didn't reach out to her and Zoey arrived days after she was back.

The night after Zoey arrived Laney wanted to go out to a nice dinner. While she was in the shower the doorbell rang and Zoey graciously answered it.

"Hey Hiddleston." She grinned widely pulling the door open. "Long time no see."

"Zoey, always a pleasure." He smiled warmly at her.

"Aw you say that like you mean it." She teased. "Laney is in the shower. What can I do for you?"

"I wanted to see if Laney wanted to grab a bite to eat."

"Oh. Well we have plans. Girls only." She leaned forwarded narrowing her eyes with a smirk.

"Oh." Tom looked around. "Well would it be ok if I waited to see her?"

"Sure be my guest. Come on in."

Tom followed her to the living room where he sat in the recliner as Zoey took a seat across from him on the couch.

It was an uncomfortable silence. Well for Tom it was. Tom smiled awkwardly nodding his head. Zoey raised her eyebrows in response, returning the smile.

"Maybe I'll just ring her later." Tom ran his hands over his knees before standing up

"Good idea." Zoey pushed herself up.

"Hey Zoey, who was at the door?" Laney walked out of the bathroom with a towel in her hand drying her damp hair. "Oh." She stopped, "Hey Tom." Her eyes shifted to Zoey who shrugged.

"Hey." Tom smiled, and Zoey had to laugh at the sound of relief in his voice. "I was wanting to take you out to eat but Zoey has informed me you have plans."

"Yeah." Laney nodded. "We do."

"Perhaps another evening."

"Perhaps." Laney echoed.

Tom nodded again before retreating to the door. Before he could shut it behind him Laney stopped him.

"Give me a minute." She turned to Zoey before following Tom out the door and closing it behind her.

"Didn't know you were having company." Tom leaned against the wall.

"She's going to stay a few weeks. Ummm..." Laney nervously tugged on her wet hair while chewing on her lip. "I did want to talk to you. Today isn't good though. Are you going to be in Los Angeles awhile longer or are you leaving?" She arched an eyebrow.

"No love, I'm not leaving." He said firmly.

"Ok well when I have a free evening I'll call you."

Tom nodded. Laney reached behind her to open the door, but Tom took a step forward reaching up, he cupped her chin and drew her mouth to his for a kiss.

"I'm looking forward to your call." He said against her lips and then turned disappearing down the hallway.

___________________________________

"So Tommy will be in Seattle." Laney took her napkin from the table placing it on her lap at dinner later that evening.

"I know. I have butterflies." Zoey admitted shyly.

Laney smiled, "He's the best guy I know. I'm so happy you guys are talking."

"Me to. I haven't dated anyone since Heath."

"Oh yeah, I'm sure your parents are happy that's over." Laney took a sip of water.

Heath was a stunt man who had a record of breaking hearts. He was reckless as a stunt man and in life. Zoey was the complete opposite. She had grown up in theater and ballet. She loved art and half her life she was on Broadway. They had dated surprisingly for over a year. But had been broken up for a few months.

Zoey rolled her eyes. "Ok enough about me. I want to know what's going on with you and Tom. I thought you and Chris were....you know." She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

"We are...well I hope we will be when he gets to LA. Tom's been hanging around. He wants another chance and I thought about it I'm not going to lie. But after everything he put me through I'm not sure I can give him another fair chance. And Chris." Laney's eyes lit up with a dreamy smile on her lips. "He's amazing." Her phone started buzzing in her bag, "Oh speak of the devil!" She pulled her phone up and showed Zoey that it was Chris calling. "Do you mind?"

Zoey waved her hand, "No please." She smiled.

"Hey!" Laney answered.

"Hi. I have some good news."

"You do? What's that?"

"I will be in LA tomorrow afternoon."

"What?! You're coming early?"

"I am. I have some auditions that I wanted to prep for and needed to be there. So I know it's last minute but I would love to take you to dinner tomorrow evening."

"Absolutely. Just let me know when you're in town."

"OK will do. Looking forward to seeing you."

"Ditto." Laney grinned.

"So....." Zoey pressed as Laney threw her phone back in her purse.

"Chris will be here tomorrow."

"Great! So now you have Chris and Tom both in the same city."

Laney inhaled sharply. "We need more wine." She scanned the room for the waiter pushing the sudden dread to the back of her mind.