'Eye contact is way more intimate than words will ever be'

"Wait, what do you mean you're not coming?" Laney froze at her hotel room door unable to push the door open. She swiped a strand of hair from her face and pushed back against her rolling suitcase.

"Lane I went to the doctor and it's the flu. I can't get out of bed let alone go to the Con." Chris sounded horrible sniffling into the phone.

He was supposed to fly out with Laney and Zoey but woke up feeling miserable. He promised Laney he was going to see his doctor and then be on the next flight to Seattle. Laney was walking into her hotel room when he called her with the bad news.

"I understand. I'm just disappointed. I was really looking forward to being here with you."

"Me to. Please tell everyone I'm sorry. I'd be there if I could but I feel terrible."

"I know you do. Feel better. I'll call you in a little bit." Laney hung her phone up and then pushed the room door open with a huff.

"Chris isn't coming?" Zoey asked following Laney inside.

"No, he has the flu. Which probably means I'll end up with it."

"And me...." Zoey shuddered. "Thanks Chris."

"I was counting on him being here."

"But darling, I am here." Tom grinned as he walked into their room like it was his own, Harrison right behind him.

"Chris isn't coming." Laney pouted.

"He's not? What's wrong?"

"He's got the flu."

"Oh....eww are you sure you don't have it love?" Tom reached up to feel her forehead.

"I feel fine." She slapped his hand away. "Other than the fact that Tom's here and Chris isn't."

"Haz and I will keep you safe." Tom looked over his shoulder at Harrison who was digging in the mini fridge.

"What?" He called.

Tom laughed, "I said we will keep Laney safe from Hiddles."

"Oh yeah. Top flight security guards." Harrison winked.

Zoey bit her lip to hold back a laugh.

"Something funny?" Tom raised an eyebrow before playfully tackling her to the bed and tickling her.

Laney frowned watching Zoey crack up laughing. "Do you think we can find out who we're doing panels with?"

"I don't know." Tom, who finally gave up tickling Zoey, turned around facing Laney he sat down on the bed. "Why don't we request to go together? Otherwise I'll be stuck with Mackie and Seb I just know it."

"Mackie's here? I didn't know that. Ok let's go find everyone. Maybe someone has a panel list or something."

"SPIDER-WITCH!" Mackie called loudly across the hotel lobby.

Laney turned with a wide grin. "Hey big Mack." She held her arm up as he reached her pulling her into a hug.

"Where's Evans?"

"He's home with the flu. He's not coming."

"No kidding....you were on a panel with him....wonder what they'll do now?"

"I'm requesting to go with Tommy." Laney slid her arm through Tom's linking them together.

Mackie shook his head with a grin. "Oh Delaney Rae....Holland is with me and Seb."

Tom's face fell and Laney frowned, "What? The 3 of you? Who am I with?"

"Uhhh that would be me darling." Hiddleston approached them from behind.

"Switch it." Laney spat out. "One Tom for the other."

"I don't think they will do that."

"Well I'm gonna ask." Laney pulled on Tom's arm and started to march off. She stopped turning around, "Who do I need to talk to?"

__________________________________

"How'd it go with getting your panel switched?" Zoey asked as Laney and Tom joined her and Harrison at the hotel restaurant at a booth in the back.

"It didn't. There's no one to talk to tonight. And I think it's going to be useless. They've already got everything scheduled." Laney sighed slumping down into the booth next to Zoey picking a fry from her plate.

"You'll be in front of hundreds of people it'll be fine." Zoey said patting Laney's hand reassuringly.

"Just wish Chris were here." Laney's eyes shifted to the front of the restaurant where Hiddleston, Mackie and Seb were waiting to be seated. Her eyes locked on Tom's and she didn't break contact till he was gone.