'Falling asleep to the sound Of sirens I've got a city love'

The kiss was sweet but brief. Laney didn't want it to end but with her legs pressed up against Tom in the back of the car it was far from the ideal place for a first kiss.

Chris smiled at her in the dark, "That was better than I could have ever imagined." He whispered to her.

"I agree." Laney pressed her lips together. They hit a bump in the road and Tom jumped.

"I think I had one to many cocktails." He said groggily before leaning his head back against the window pane.

Laney laughed and turned her head into Chris's chest to muffle it.

"Maybe not the best place for our first kiss." Chris chuckled.

"He won't remember at least." Laney pointed out. "Hopefully."

"Are you going to be able to get him inside?" Chris leaned forward looking at Tom.

"I hope so..." Laney cringed.

They pulled up at Zoey's apartment complex and Laney shook Tom gently, "Hey we're here."

Tom rubbed his eyes and sat up. "Cool." He pushed the door open and Laney slid across the seat.

"Should I walk you up?" Chris hesitated.

"No, we're fine. Thank you. Call me tomorrow?" She smiled.

"Of course." He grabbed her hand, bringing it to his mouth he brushed his lips across her knuckles softly. "Night Laney."

"Night Chris." She climbed out of the car and followed Tom up to the entrance of the apartment. Zoey had a "charming" one bed room apartment in the lower east side. There was no doorman, barely a lobby. Zoey's neighbor had an extra key and had let Tom and Laney in earlier that day to drop their bags off.

Since Zoey's apartment was only a one-bedroom Tom and Laney were going to have to share the pullout couch bed. Zoey had insisted that Tom take her room but Tom being the perfect gentleman refused claiming he and Laney didn't mind sharing the pullout.

Zoey had already pulled the bed out and had it made up with sheet, blankets and pillows. Tom fell onto the bed still in his clothes but Laney forced him to go into the bathroom and put something else on. She went into Zoey's bedroom and put on a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt. Tom was already in the bed under the blankets when Laney came back out.

She quietly turned off all the lights before sliding into the bed trying not to disturb Tom. It was true they had fallen asleep together so many times at her house in LA on her couch. Sleeping next to each other didn't faze either one of them.

"Well darling I knew we end up in bed together one day." Tom said.

Laney burst out laughing. "I thought you were asleep."

"Almost." He shifted. "I wanted to hear about you and Chris making out in the car first."

"What?!" Laney gasped "You so didn't hear that."

"Love it's a tiny back seat. I wasn't asleep. I could hear you whispering."

"That's kind of creepy. You should have told us you were awake."

"And interrupt the long awaited first kiss. Never."

"It was pretty great." Laney sighed happily. "And then I get here and check my phone and have messages from Tom."

"What's he saying?"

"He's back in LA. He wants to have dinner when I'm back in town."

Tom shrugged. "Ignore him."

"I can't. I'm not over him. I don't know if I ever will be over him. And now that he's wanting another chance. I mean up until he completely broke my heart he was the best boyfriend."

"Yeah but Laney he did break your heart. In a really terrible way. You were destroyed." Tom said softly.

"So how about you and Zoey." Laney turned over on her back staring at the ceiling, the neon lights from the outside world causing a dramatic effect throughout the room.

"Nice change of subject there sweetheart." Tom laid on his back as well.

"You seemed to hit it off."

"Yeah, we weren't the ones making out in the car though."

"Ha! Nice try. And on that note I'm going to bed. Good night." She turned over on her side away from him.

"Night Laney." He chuckled.

They didn't hear Zoey come in that night. The sun streaming in the window and the sounds of the city that never sleeps woke Laney up the next morning. Tom and Zoey were both still asleep so Laney quietly made some coffee and sat at the quaint breakfast bar in the kitchen.

"Hey." Zoey padded out of her bedroom a few minutes after Laney had sat down with her coffee.

"Morning." Laney lifted the coffee mug to her mouth.

"Did you sleep ok?"

Laney nodded. "Didn't even hear you come in last night."

"Good. You and Tom were exhausted." She grabbed a mug and poured a cup of coffee.  "So I know that mom, dad, Uncle Mike and Aunt Rae want to meet up for lunch."

"Oh ok. That sounds good."

"What about breakfast?" Tom stirred on the pullout his eyes still closed.

Laney and Zoey laughed. "Why don't we go get some brunch in the city dah-lings." Zoey said in her very best British accent.

"That was pretty good." Tom opened his eyes.

"Thank you." Zoey curtsied.

"I'm going to see if Chris wants to meet us." Laney grabbed her phone.

"We'll double then." Zoey grinned.

"Yes double." Laney agreed smiling back, dialing Chris's number.